Question about the integral test

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have to determine whether [itex]\sum 1/n^2 + 4[/itex]
    is convergente or divergent
    2. Relevant equations

I'm trying to work the problem through trigonometric substitution. I was wondering if I could just determine that by the P-series test, the function 1/n^2 will always be larger than the other one, since p is greater than 1 in this case, both are convergent.
    3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. tiny-tim

tiny-tim 26,054
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi salazar888! welcome to pf! :smile:
    yes, always 0 < 1/(n2+4) < 1/n2,

the latter sum converges (from the p-series test), so so must the former (from the direct comparison test) :wink:

4. Ray Vickson

Ray Vickson 6,071
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Obviously, since the series [itex] \sum \frac{1}{n^2} [/itex] converges, the sum you wrote, [itex] 4 + \sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] converges also.

RGV

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  5. The series 1/n does not converge. It's the harmonic series. You read it wrong. I get what you're saying though.

6. Ray Vickson

Ray Vickson 6,071
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I saw the error and edited it immediately.

RGV

7. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,386
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But the series
    [tex]\sum\left(\frac{1}{n^2}+ 4\right)[/tex]
    does NOT converge!

8. Ray Vickson

Ray Vickson 6,071
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree, but that is not what he wrote. We all know he meant sum 1/(n^2 + 4), but he wrote sum (1/n^2) + 4, which is very different according to standard math expression padding rules. Since he was using 'tex' anyway, he should have been able to enter "{n^2+4}" as the second argument of the '\frac' command.

RGV

9. Yes it was my fault. I've only been on the forum for a couple of days. Thanks for the help guys. I will improve at typing the commands.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?