1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the integral test

1. Jul 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have to determine whether [itex]\sum 1/n^2 + 4[/itex]
    is convergente or divergent
    2. Relevant equations

I'm trying to work the problem through trigonometric substitution. I was wondering if I could just determine that by the P-series test, the function 1/n^2 will always be larger than the other one, since p is greater than 1 in this case, both are convergent.
    3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi salazar888! welcome to pf! :smile:
    yes, always 0 < 1/(n2+4) < 1/n2,

the latter sum converges (from the p-series test), so so must the former (from the direct comparison test) :wink:

4. Jul 24, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Obviously, since the series [itex] \sum \frac{1}{n^2} [/itex] converges, the sum you wrote, [itex] 4 + \sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] converges also.

RGV

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  5. Jul 24, 2011 #4
    The series 1/n does not converge. It's the harmonic series. You read it wrong. I get what you're saying though.

6. Jul 24, 2011 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I saw the error and edited it immediately.

RGV

7. Jul 24, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But the series
    [tex]\sum\left(\frac{1}{n^2}+ 4\right)[/tex]
    does NOT converge!

8. Jul 24, 2011 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree, but that is not what he wrote. We all know he meant sum 1/(n^2 + 4), but he wrote sum (1/n^2) + 4, which is very different according to standard math expression padding rules. Since he was using 'tex' anyway, he should have been able to enter "{n^2+4}" as the second argument of the '\frac' command.

RGV

9. Jul 24, 2011 #8
    Yes it was my fault. I've only been on the forum for a couple of days. Thanks for the help guys. I will improve at typing the commands.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?