Is it possible to have an empty intersection of a set and its subsets?

• Thread starter tinfoilhat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the question asks if the set [a,a] can exist, but it implies that a is not in the set, which doesn't make sense. However, it seems that the problem the question is trying to solve requires that [a,a] be considered empty.
tinfoilhat
question about the set [a,a)

If S=[a,a) Can such a set exist? It implies that a is in S and not in S, which doesn't make sense, but it seems a problem I'm trying to do requires it to be considered empty.

The question is:

Let In = [an,bn) where

In+1 < In for all natural numbers n. [< denotes subset]

Give an example of those In for which the intersection of In (for all n) is empty.

I can't see any other way to construct an empty set.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a, a] would be the set of all x such that a < x <= a.

However, I think the question intends you to limit yourself to intervals whose endpoints are distinct.

Recall that when you take a nested intersection of nonempty closed sets, you never get the empty set. Since you're searching for behavior that is not demonstrated by closed sets, I would suggest focusing at the open end of your intervals, where they resemble closed sets the least.

Hi. Thanks for the response. Based on your definition [a,a) is indeed empty. Although I'm not sure why you think the question requires the endpoints to be distinct.

If every set In+1 is a subset of In, then the only way the intersection of In for all n is empty is if one of those sets is empty. To my eyes (which admittedly are stupid at times), the only set of the form [a,b) that is empty is when a=b (or b<a)

Last edited:

I just learned that the set [a,a) is not a proper subset of itself. So if In=[a,a), In+1 can't satisfy In+1 < In.

Now I have no idea what's going on. If no In can be empty, how can the intersection of all In be empty in any case! HELP

1. What is the difference between (a,a] and [a,a]?

(a,a] includes all elements from a to a, while [a,a] only includes the element a. In other words, (a,a] is an open interval and [a,a] is a closed interval.

2. Is (a,a] an empty set?

No, (a,a] contains at least one element, which is a.

3. Can (a,a] be a subset of a larger set?

Yes, (a,a] can be a subset of a larger set as long as the larger set contains the element a.

4. What is the cardinality of (a,a]?

The cardinality of (a,a] is 1, since it only contains one element.

5. Can (a,a] be written in a different notation?

Yes, (a,a] can also be written as (a,a) or ]a,a[. Both notations indicate that the interval is open on the left side and closed on the right side.