Exploring the Existence of Vacuum: Views and Theories

• Thread starter Zaimeen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vacuum
In summary, the conversation started with a question about the existence of "vacuum" and whether or not it actually exists. The participants discuss the movement of gravity and electromagnetic waves, with some suggesting the existence of "ether" and others refuting it based on special relativity. The conversation then shifts to the existence of virtual particles in the vacuum, and the movement of electromagnetic waves is explained through Maxwell's equations. One participant makes vague claims about the flaws in the standard model, but is unable to provide any examples when asked. The conversation ends with a nonsensical song.
yes, dated in 2001, but not much advancement since then. i hear now they are using the idea of quantum entanglement to try and explain mass. they leap from one theory to another. i know that what development in scientists is all about, but its annoying.

there is obviously no good model for gravity. why? with gravity being a pull, it is hard to make sense of it. why does gravity have to have two objects pulling on each other? why does gravity have to have one object falling into another objects inclination of space-time? why does gravity have to be explained as a leaking through many dimensions? I am only 17, and I am sure you can probably see i don't have much of a basis for my thinking. I am thinking and thinking and thinking, and i hope to have more backing for my thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
p53ud0 dr34m5 said:
yes, dated in 2001, but not much advancement since then. i hear now they are using the idea of quantum entanglement to try and explain mass. they leap from one theory to another. i know that what development in scientists is all about, but its annoying.

there is obviously no good model for gravity. why? with gravity being a pull, it is hard to make sense of it. why does gravity have to have two objects pulling on each other? why does gravity have to have one object falling into another objects inclination of space-time? why does gravity have to be explained as a leaking through many dimensions? I am only 17, and I am sure you can probably see i don't have much of a basis for my thinking. I am thinking and thinking and thinking, and i hope to have more backing for my thoughts.

Science doesn't seek to explain "why" things happen in the manner that you want it to. It seeks to model how phenomena occur in a way that produces a measurable result that is as accurate as possible in balance with simplicity of theory. While you may point to modern string theory as a deviation from this axiom, it is really an exercise in trying to unify theories that do make accurate predictions into a framework that seems to be simpler (after a fashion) than the current splintered theories.

I have a question? Are there particles that cause magnetic fields to attract things? Are they a result of warping of spactime? If so why then do some materials not get attracted at all? Is it like a different type of warping then gravity? Where gravity warping attracts mass and magnetic warping attacts just metal?

Im a noob

Last edited: