Question and answer on 'not exact' forms

• Thread starter precondition
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forms
In summary, the lecturer provided a solution to show that on R^2\{0} (without zero), the form w=(xdy-ydx)/(x^2+y^2) is (a) closed and (b) not exact. The solution involves converting to polar coordinates and showing that for any region containing the origin, the form is not an exact differential due to the fact that it is not defined at the origin. This contradicts the assumption that it is equal to the differential of a smooth function on R^2\{0}, as shown by the fact that the function p-f is not constant in any neighborhood of (1,0) and thus not continuous.
precondition
The question is:
Show that on R^2\{0} (without zero),
let w=(xdy-ydx)/(x^2+y^2) and show (a) closed (b) not exact.

(a) is straightforward,
and for (b), the following is the solution lecturer provided.
Firstly convert to polar coordinates letting x=rcos(p) y=rsin(p) where p is supposed to be angle, and get w=dp.
And then! (from here on I don't understand) suppose w=df where f is smooth on R^2\{0}. On R dp=df implies d(p-f) is constant. This contradicts that f smooth as in any neighbourhood of (1,0) there exists p1,p2 in R^2\{0} such that f(p1)-f(p2)>pi (as in pi=3.14...)so f is not continuous.

Could someone 'explain' what he's doing in this solution? I don't understand how exterior derivatives got to do with these functions being constant etc.
I appreciate your help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean continuous (not "constant")?

There is a general theorem that, as long as we are working with differential forms defined on a simply connected set, then any closed form must be exact.
An exact form is one which is the differential of some other form. A closed form is one whose differential is 0. It is easy to show that an exact form is always closed: d(da)= 0 for any differential form a. The converse, that closed forms are exact, is only true on simply connected domains.

Your instructor's suggestion is exactly right. In polar coordinates, x= rcos(p) so dx= cos(p)dx- r sin(p)dp and y= r sin(p) so dy= sin(p)dr+ rcos(p)dy. Then xdy= rsin(p)cos(p)dx+ r2cos2(p)dy while ydx= r sin(p)cos(p)dr- r2sin2(p)dp.
Then xdy- ydx= r2(cos2(p)dp+ sin2(p)dp= r2dp. Since the denominator, x2+ y2= r2, w= dp in polar coordinates. What isn't that an exact differential, then? because neither p nor dp is defined at r= 0 so dw is not an exact differential on any region containing the origin.

The problem is that dw itself is not defined at the origin and so for any region containing the origin, its domain is not simply connected.

Thank you for your explanation, but all the things you wrote down I already understand. My specific question was interpreting the solution that lecturer wrote down, I'll write down again,

suppose w=df where f is smooth on R^2\{0}. On R dp=df implies d(p-f) is constant. This contradicts that f smooth as in any neighbourhood of (1,0) there exists p1,p2 in R^2\{0} such that f(p1)-f(p2)>pi (as in pi=3.14...)so f is not continuous.

and no, it's not 'continuous' instead of 'constant' and THAT's why I don't understand it you see?

1. What is a "not exact" form?

A "not exact" form refers to a mathematical expression or equation that is not in its most simplified or exact form. This means that there are still simplifications or transformations that can be done to the expression to make it more precise.

2. How do you identify a "not exact" form?

A "not exact" form can be identified by looking for patterns or terms that can be combined or simplified. This includes common factors, like variables or constants, that can be factored out or simplified in some way.

3. Why is it important to simplify "not exact" forms?

Simplifying "not exact" forms is important in order to get a more precise and accurate solution to a mathematical problem. It also helps to make the expression more manageable and easier to work with.

4. What are some strategies for simplifying "not exact" forms?

Some strategies for simplifying "not exact" forms include factoring, combining like terms, using the distributive property, and applying algebraic rules and identities. It may also be helpful to rewrite the expression in a different form or manipulate it in a way that makes it easier to work with.

5. How can I practice working with "not exact" forms?

To practice working with "not exact" forms, you can solve math problems that involve simplifying expressions or equations. There are also many online resources and practice problems available that focus specifically on simplifying "not exact" forms.