Question asking me to show that the water flow rate is approximately 26kg\s

In summary, a farmer built a 12m water storage tank and is using a 200m long, 125mm diameter pipe with a friction factor of 0.008 to feed water to a field for irrigation. Using the given K factors, it can be shown that the water flow rate in the pipe is approximately 26kg/s. To find the water flow rate in kg/s, the velocity can be multiplied by the cross-sectional area of the pipe and then divided by 1000, as the water density is 1000kg/m3. The solution may require a trial and error approach until an equation balances.
Euansmith
1. A farmer builds a water storage tank 12m above ground.

The water is fed via a 200m long, 125mm diameter pipe to a field for irrigation purposes. The pipe has a friction factor of 0.008. Using the K data below, show that the water flow rate (kg/s) in the pipe is approximately 26kg/s.
Data
K factors: Tank exit 0.5, Bend 0.9, valve 1.0 Water density: 1000kg/m3

Physics news on Phys.org
So far I understand how to use Bernoulli's equation, and how to use Darcy's equation to obtain the frictional loss of the pipe, but I can't actually do them because I have two unknowns. Those being velocity and frictional head loss.

I know that to find volume flow rate you multiply the velocity by the cross sectional area of the pipe. Then I guess to find the water flow rate in kg/s I will have to take the flow rate and divide 1000 by it. (1000kg of water per cubic metre.) If someone could point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative.

Cheers,

Euan.

Attempt a trial and error solution until a certain equation balances.

1. How do you determine the water flow rate of 26kg/s?

To determine the water flow rate, you can use a flow meter or measure the volume of water passing through a specific point in a certain amount of time. This will give you the flow rate in kg/s.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of the water flow rate measurement?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the water flow rate measurement include changes in temperature, pressure, and viscosity of the water. Any obstructions or irregularities in the pipes can also affect the accuracy.

3. How can you ensure the accuracy of the water flow rate measurement?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use calibrated equipment and regularly maintain and inspect the pipes for any obstructions. It is also recommended to take multiple measurements at different times to account for any changes in the water flow rate.

4. What units are commonly used to express water flow rate?

The most commonly used units to express water flow rate are liters per second (L/s) or cubic meters per second (m^3/s). However, other units such as gallons per minute (GPM) or kilograms per second (kg/s) may also be used.

5. How does the water flow rate affect the efficiency of a system?

The water flow rate can significantly affect the efficiency of a system. If the flow rate is too low, it can cause inefficiencies and delays in the process. On the other hand, a high flow rate can put excess strain on the system and potentially lead to equipment failure. It is important to maintain a balanced and appropriate water flow rate for optimal system efficiency.