Question: Does the nuetron have a tiny electric charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the charge of the neutron and how it is measured. There is an experimental upper limit on the charge of the neutron, meaning that it is likely to have no net charge but there is a small possibility of a tiny electric charge. The neutron is made up of three particles called quarks, and while these quarks do have charges, their sum results in a neutron with no net charge. The conversation also mentions the electric dipole moment of the neutron and how it is within the limits of measurement.
Latin_of_Lite
I was going through wikipedia and other online 'resource' sites trying to to find an answer to this question, and the answers I came across were difficult for me to interpret. Obviously in general terms the Neutron has a charge of 0 but I remember once reading a few years ago that it might have a tiny electric charge. If it does, what's the sign of the charge and how tiny is its magnitude?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The neutron has, to a high degree of precision, no charge.

Latin_of_Lite said:
Obviously in general terms the Neutron has a charge of 0 but I remember once reading a few years ago that it might have a tiny electric charge. If it does, what's the sign of the charge and how tiny is its magnitude?

What you saw was probably a reference to an experimental upper limit on the charge of the neutron. No experimental measurement is exact, there is always some uncertainty associated with it. Reporting an upper limit basically says, "we didn't detect anything, so if the neutron has a net charge, it must be less than this amount which reflects our experimental uncertainty." The word "if" is crucial here.

Or, perhaps you saw electric dipole but are remembering it as electric charge. There are four electromagnetic form factors, and three of them can be nonzero for neutral composite particles. (Don't confuse form factors with moments. While similar, the concept is distinct.) The electromagnetic form factors can be orgainzed as: electric charge, magnetic moment, electric (dipole) moment, and anapole (moment). In my opinion, the anapole is particularly strange, as it is only manifested by direct contact with electromagnetic matter current. I think that the only nonzero form factor that is possible for a fundamentally neutral particle (that is, a neutral point particle) is the anapole.

The upper limit for the neutron charge in my 2002 Particle Data Group book is less than 10-21 times the electron charge. The value for the electric dipole moment of the neutron in my 2002 Particle Data Book is less than 0.63 x 10-25 e-cm. This does not mean that the neutron has an electric dipole moment, but this is the uncertainty in the measurement. This means that if there were two opposite charges, a +q and a -q, separated by 10-13 cm (typical nuclear size), the +q and -q would be less than about 10-12 times the electron charge.
[Edit} See page 6 of
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/listings/rpp2009-list-n.pdf
for neutron charge measurement

Last edited:
The neutron has no *net* charge. But it is comprised of 3 basic particles called quarks, which do have charge. A neutron is 1 up quark plus 2 down quarks. The up quark has a charge of +2/3, vs. the down quark whose charge is -1/3. The sum is zero.

A proton OTOH, is 2 ups & 1 down, for a net charge of +1.

Does this help?

Claude

cabraham said:
The neutron has no *net* charge. But it is comprised of 3 basic particles called quarks, which do have charge. A neutron is 1 up quark plus 2 down quarks. The up quark has a charge of +2/3, vs. the down quark whose charge is -1/3. The sum is zero.A proton OTOH, is 2 ups & 1 down, for a net charge of +1. Does this help?
Claude
It has no dipole moment, within the limits of measurements. If there were two electron-size opposite charges or quarks with different charges, they would have to be less than about 10-25 cm apart. The neutron size is about 10-13 cm.

Last edited:

1. What is a neutron?

A neutron is a subatomic particle that is found in the nucleus of an atom, along with protons. It has a mass similar to a proton, but it does not have an electric charge.

2. Does the neutron have a tiny electric charge?

No, the neutron does not have a tiny electric charge. It is a neutral particle, meaning it has no positive or negative charge.

3. How was it discovered that the neutron has no electric charge?

The discovery that the neutron has no electric charge was made in 1932 by James Chadwick through experiments involving the scattering of alpha particles by beryllium and paraffin.

4. Why is the lack of an electric charge important for the stability of atoms?

The lack of an electric charge in the neutron allows it to act as a "glue" that holds the positively charged protons together in the nucleus. This helps to stabilize the atom and prevent the protons from repelling each other due to their positive charges.

5. Can a neutron have an electric charge under certain conditions?

Yes, under certain conditions, a neutron can gain or lose an electric charge through interactions with other particles. This can happen in high-energy collisions or in certain types of nuclear reactions.