Question: How do we use the Laplace transform to find the inverse of a function?

In summary: For a negative value a<0 the integral is evaluated in the same way, but with a different integration path. The result is the same, except that the cosine becomes a sine. This is not a coincident because the original function is an even function of a, but since the integral formula is not symmetric with respect to a \rightarrow -a, but changes sign, the result does not have to be symmetric with respect to a \rightarrow -a, too.For the sake of completeness, I give here the general formula for the back-transformation of F(p)=G(p)/H(p) (with G and H being polynoms with real coefficients) which has been found after a short discussion here.For simplicity I will discuss here
pierce15

Homework Statement

Find

$$ L^{-1} \left[ \frac{1}{ (p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] $$

Homework Equations

$$ L [ x \cos ax ] = \frac{p^2 - a^2} { (p^2 + a^2) ^2 } $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
piercebeatz said:

Homework Statement

Find

$$ L^{-1} \left[ \frac{1}{ (p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] $$

Homework Equations

$$ L [ x \cos ax ] = \frac{p^2 - a^2} { (p^2 + a^2) ^2 } $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. Any thoughts?

Look at this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=725295

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

@piercebeatz -- Please check your PMs. You must always show some effort before we can offer tutorial help.

Thread is re-opened.

I'm terribly sorry for that. Here's where I got (I'm supposed to use the above identity in the problem, and convolutions is in the next chapter):

$$ L^ {-1} \left[ \frac{1}{(p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] = L^{-1} \left[ \frac{1}{p^2 - a^2} \frac{p^2 - a^2}{(p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] $$

By the theorem

$$ L^{-1} [ F(p) G(p) ] = \int_0^x f(x-t)g(t) \, dt $$

(where F(p) = L(f(t)) etc.), this becomes

$$ L^{-1} \left[ \frac{1}{p^2 - a^2} \frac{p^2 - a^2}{(p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] = \int_0^x \frac{1}{a} \sinh (a (x-t)) \cos(at) \, dt $$

By the substitution t = iy, this becomes

$$ i/a \int_0^{x/i} \sinh( a( x-iy)) \cosh ay \, dy $$

$$ = i/2a \int_0^{x/i} \left[ \sinh (a (x + y - iy)) + \sinh(a( x- y - iy) ) \right] \, dy $$

$$ = i/2a \left[ \frac{\cosh( a ( x+ y - iy)) }{a(1 - i)} + \frac{ \cosh(a (x - y -iy))}{a(-1-i)} \right]_0^{x/i} $$

$$ = i/2a \left[ \frac{\cosh( -aix)}{a(1-i)} + \frac{\cosh(aix)}{a(-1-i)} \right] $$

$$ = \frac{1}{a} \cos ax \cdot \frac{i}{2} \left[ \frac{1}{a(1-i)} - \frac{1}{a(1+i)} \right] $$

$$ = \frac{1}{a} \cos ax \cdot \frac{i}{2} \left[ \frac{ a( -1 - i + 1 - i )}{-2 a^2 } \right] $$

$$ = - \frac{ \cos ax}{2a^2} $$

That's the only way I could think of doing it

Last edited:
piercebeatz said:
I'm terribly sorry for that. Here's where I got (I'm supposed to use the above identity in the problem, and convolutions is in the next chapter):

$$ L^ {-1} \left[ \frac{1}{(p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] = L^{-1} \left[ \frac{1}{p^2 - a^2} \frac{p^2 - a^2}{(p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] $$

By the theorem

$$ L^{-1} [ F(p) G(p) ] = \int_0^x f(x-t)g(t) \, dt $$

That is the convolution theorem stated in inverse form.

(where F(p) = L(f(t)) etc.), this becomes

$$ L^{-1} \left[ \frac{1}{p^2 - a^2} \frac{p^2 - a^2}{(p^2 + a^2)^2} \right] = \int_0^x \frac{1}{a} \sinh (a (x-t)) \cos(at) \, dt $$

Why would you break it up that way? Why not $$
\mathcal L^{-1}\left(\frac {1}{p^2+a^2}\cdot \frac {1}{p^2+a^2}\right)$$I haven't checked the rest of your work, but, at least according to Maple, your answer isn't correct.

Why don't you use complex integration and the theorem of residues to invert the Laplace transform?

I don't know that theorem. Does anyone see any error in the above calculation? I can't find one

piercebeatz said:
I don't know that theorem. Does anyone see any error in the above calculation? I can't find one

You don't know what theorem? Please quote the message to which you are replying.

LCKurtz said:
You don't know what theorem? Please quote the message to which you are replying.

Sorry, I meant the "theorem of residues"

piercebeatz said:
You didn't take the inverse Laplace transform of the two pieces correctly. According to Mathematica, the inverse Laplace transform of ##\frac{p^2-a^2}{(p^2+a^2)^2}## is ##t \cos at##. You forgot the ##t## out front.

In any case, I suggest you take LCKurtz's suggestion for how to break up the original transform to use with the convolution theorem.

Right, I forgot the t. Putting it in and doing integration by parts yields the answer, which I have obtained on paper. Thank you all for your time.

Sometimes, it's easier to directly use the back-transformation formula
[tex]f(t)=\frac{1}{2 \pi \mathrm{i}} \int_{C} \mathrm{d} p \exp(p t) F(p),[/tex]
where [itex]C[/itex] is a straight line parallel to the imaginary axis in the complex [itex]p[/itex] line.

The integral can be evaluated with help of the theorem of residues very easily in this case. The image function is
[tex]F(p)=\frac{p^2-a^2}{(p^2+a^2)^2}.[/tex]
For simplicity let's assume that [itex]a>0[/itex]. Then the poles of [itex]F[/itex] are on the imaginary axis, [itex]p_{1,2}=\pm \mathrm{i} a[/itex]. For the real part of the integration path we can thus choose any positive value, and thus we can close this path by a semi-circle with infinite radius to the left [itex]p[/itex] plane (since in the back-transformation formula above we always tacitly assume [itex]t>0[/itex].

Thus the integral is just given by the sum over the residues of the function [itex]F(p)\exp(p t)[/itex]. Since the poles are of second order, the residues are evaluated as
[tex]\text{res}_{\pm \mathrm{i} a}[F \exp(p t)]=\lim_{p \rightarrow \mathrm{i} a} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} p}[(p \mp \mathrm{i}a)^2 F(p) \exp(p t)] = \frac{t}{2} \exp(\pm \mathrm{i} a t).[/tex]
Thus the original function is
[tex]f(t)=\text{res}_{\mathrm{i} a}[F \exp(p t)] + \text{res}_{-\mathrm{i} a}[F \exp(p t)]=t \cos(a t).[/tex]

Related to Question: How do we use the Laplace transform to find the inverse of a function?

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the frequency domain.

2. How does a Laplace Transform work?

A Laplace Transform works by integrating a function of time with a complex exponential function. This converts the function from the time domain to the frequency domain. The resulting function is called the Laplace Transform of the original function.

3. What are some applications of Laplace Transforms?

Laplace Transforms are widely used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations, analyze systems in the frequency domain, and understand the behavior of complex systems. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and circuit analysis.

4. How is a Laplace Transform different from a Fourier Transform?

A Laplace Transform and a Fourier Transform are similar, but the Laplace Transform includes a complex exponential function, while the Fourier Transform does not. This means that the Laplace Transform can handle functions that are not periodic, while the Fourier Transform is limited to periodic functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transforms?

While Laplace Transforms are a powerful mathematical tool, they do have some limitations. They can only be applied to functions that have a Laplace Transform, and they may not always converge. Additionally, they do not always provide an intuitive understanding of the behavior of a system, as the frequency domain can be difficult to interpret visually.