QUESTION:[INDENT] Why do all forum topics cause online

In summary: I want to complain. I paid 200 pounds for this suit, and you've never even sewn on the buttons. I want to complain. There's a fly in my soup. Yes, I know it's a fly, but what's it doing in my soup? I want to complain. I ordered this turtle, and it's an inch too small. I want to complain.QUESTION:Why do all forum topics cause online arguments?In summary, all forum topics do not necessarily cause online arguments. While some topics may lead to disagreements and heated discussions, many topics also result in productive and respectful conversations where individuals share their different viewpoints. It is important to distinguish between arguments and discussions, as arguments often involve personal attacks and hostile behavior
mr_whisk
QUESTION:
Why do all forum topics cause online

QUESTION:

Why do all forum topics cause online arguments?

Physics news on Phys.org
They don't, not even a tiny fraction.

that sounds like an argument

(Q: WHAT DO YOU WANT?
M: Well, I was told outside that...
Q: Don't give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings!
M: What?
Q: Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!
M: Look, I CAME HERE FOR AN ARGUMENT, I'm not going to just stand...!
Q: OH, oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse.
M: Oh, I see, well, that explains it.
Q: Ah yes, you want room 12A, Just along the corridor.
M: Oh, Thank you very much. Sorry.
Q: Not at all.
M: Thank You.)

Evo said:
They don't, not even a tiny fraction.

Yes they do! :rofl:

All forum topics cause argument because everybody has a different point of view and has had different experiences in their lives. That is natural, and is not bad.

I think people are confusing discussions of different viewpoints with argument. I can point out tons of threads were everyone was in agreement.

Last edited:
"If you think that "fact," not argument, rules intelligent thinking, consider these examples. At one point, the "great minds" of Western Europe firmly believed the Earth was flat. They had discussions about how obviously true this "fact" was."

"What is an argument? In academic writing, an argument is usually a main idea, often called a "claim" or "thesis statement," backed up with evidence that supports the idea. Ninety-nine percent of the time you will need to make some sort of claim and use evidence to support it,..."

99% of the time?--here??

http://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/argument.html

Last edited:
I'm taking the OP to mean argument as bickering and refusing to get along. All topics on a forum should create discussion. So asking "why do all forum topics create online discussions?" would be a rather meaningless question. So I stand with my assessment that the great majority of topics do not create arguments, at leat not on this forum, only a small fraction do. The majority don't end up in arguments in other forums I go to either.

Last edited:
are we having an argument?

No, we're not!

So you are having an argument. Can I eavesdrop?

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
A: It can be.
M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
A: No it isn't.
M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
A: Yes it is!
M: No it isn't!

D H said:
So you are having an argument.
No, we're not.

Can I eavesdrop?
No you can't!

Gokul43201 said:
No you can't!
Yes, I can!

I can even add some useless facts to further advance the argument. For example, 8.6766*1049 is an upper bound on the number of angels that can dance on the tip of a pin (source: Quantum Gravity Treatment of the Angel Density Problem).

Last edited:
mr_whisk said:
QUESTION:

Why do all forum topics cause online arguments?

Because I'm always right and some people haven't figured this out yet.

Evo said:
I think people are confusing discussions of different viewpoints with argument. I can point out tons of threads were everyone was in agreement.

Sure but these threads are of little interest and die quickly. It takes a good argument to give a thread legs.

QUESTION:

Should trolls who have a post count of zero be prevented from creating new threads in the general discussion forum?

Integral said:
Sure but these threads are of little interest and die quickly. It takes a good argument to give a thread legs.

M: I was just getting interested.
A: Sorry, the five minutes is up.
M: That was never five minutes!
A: I'm afraid it was.
M: No, it wasn't.
(pause)
A: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue anymore.
M: What?!

M:Oh, all right. Well?
A: Well what?
M: That was never five minutes just then.
A: I told you can't argue with you unless you pay.
M: I just paid you.
A: When?
M: Just now!
A: No you didn't.
M: Yes I did.

I think we should lock this thread. It's out of CONTROL!

Evo said:

Mk said:
All forum topics cause argument because everybody has a different point of view and has had different experiences in their lives. That is natural, and is not bad.
Here's an instance where two people agree, but are thinking of different definitions of the same word, "argument."

JasonRox said:

This was actually quite fun. I think most of us recognized the OP as a troll: someone with a null post count literally begging for an argument. So we accommodated him/her.

You are perhaps a bit too young to recognize the bits of the Monty Python Argument Clinic sketch quoted at various points in this thread. A link:

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:

My personal theory on this is that no one wants to disagree with the GD mentor.

D H said:
You are perhaps a bit too young to recognize the bits of the Monty Python Argument Clinic sketch
Who's the troll now?

Mk said:
Who's the troll now?

According to Jason's blog, he just started advanced calculus a year ago. That makes him young (Bayesian inference). The skit in question first aired one day shy of 35 years ago and the show hasn't been in reruns for a long time. That makes most of us who saw it old ((Bayesian inference again). Where is the trolling?

JasonRox said:

You want to complain? Look at these shoes. Only had them two weeks, already there's holes in them.

If you complain nothing happens, you might as well not bother.

Math Jeans said:
My personal theory on this is that no one wants to disagree with the GD mentor.

and Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

OTOH, she might well send us to take being-hit-on-the-head lessons.

Evo--do you want to send us (me and who else?) to being-hit-on-the-head class?

(now, be honest!)

(or, was that remedial being-hit-on-the-head class?)

H: No, no, no. Hold your head like this, then go Waaah. Try it again.
M: uuuwwhh!
H: Better, Better, but Waah, Waah! Put your hand there.
M: No.
H: Now..
M: Waaaaah!
H: Good, Good! That's it.

Last edited:

1. Why do all forum topics cause online?

This is because forum topics provide a platform for discussion and exchanging ideas, which can lead to heated debates and disagreements. Additionally, the anonymity and distance provided by the internet can make some individuals feel more comfortable expressing their opinions, which can contribute to the online nature of forum discussions.

2. What are the benefits of online forum discussions?

Online forum discussions allow individuals from different backgrounds and locations to come together and share their perspectives on various topics. This can lead to a diverse range of ideas and insights, helping individuals to broaden their knowledge and understanding. Additionally, online forums can provide a sense of community and support for individuals who may feel isolated or have limited access to face-to-face discussions.

3. How can online forum discussions be moderated?

Online forum discussions can be moderated in various ways, such as setting clear guidelines for respectful and constructive communication, having active moderators who can monitor and intervene in discussions if necessary, and implementing technology-based tools to filter out inappropriate content. It is important for moderators to strike a balance between allowing freedom of expression and maintaining a safe and respectful environment for all participants.

4. What are some potential challenges of participating in online forum discussions?

One challenge of online forum discussions is the lack of face-to-face interaction, which can make it difficult to accurately interpret tone or intent behind messages. This can sometimes lead to misunderstandings and conflicts. Additionally, online forums can be prone to trolling and cyberbullying, which can be harmful and discouraging for participants. It is important for individuals to be mindful of their own behavior and to report any inappropriate or harmful content.

5. How can we promote meaningful and productive online forum discussions?

To promote meaningful and productive online forum discussions, it is important to encourage open-mindedness, respect, and active listening among participants. It can also be helpful to have a diverse range of perspectives represented and to keep discussions focused on the topic at hand. Moderators can also play a crucial role in guiding discussions and redirecting them if they become unproductive. Finally, setting clear goals and objectives for the forum can help to keep discussions purposeful and relevant.