Question - Not sure about forum placement

In summary, if in 1905 we had closed out American borders and ended immigration to our shores, choose one scientist, mathematician, engineer, or architect that would have been prevented from coming to the USA. Explore how this would have affected their acheivements, and how the world would be different today?
dtl42
I am not sure where to put this. Its for homework, but its a research paper. we have this topic

"If in 1905 we had closed out American borders and ended immigration to our shores, choose one scientist, mathematician, engineer, or architect that would have been prevented from coming to the USA. Explore how this would have affected their acheivements, and how the world would be different today?"

I thought of Einstein immediately, but sinceforth have been stumped for ideas. Any help? I really want to do a scientist, mathematician or engineer, not so much an architect. The paper has to be around 6-8 pages long so I also need to find information on them fairly easily.

PS - I am sorry about not knowing where to post this, If it needs to be moved somewhere more appropriate, please direct me on how to move it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head:

Igor Sikorsky
Wernher Von Braun
Enrico Fermi

None. They would all go to Canada and then the US.

Some how I don't think my english teacher will accept that, or she'll say "explain how going through Canada changed their lives, and in turn the world" or something crazy like that. Or they would go through mexico, and prolly not make it to the US

Ooh, pick me, pick me! I would have never been born had that happened, because my grandmother would not have been in the US, but my grandfather would have been, so my mom would have never been born, and thus I would have never been born. :biggrin:

Oh, your teacher is probably looking for someone a little more famous than me. :redface: :frown:

Fermi has a great story. Under Mussolini's regime he was given the title of "His Excellency" (Sua Eccelenza) - a title he was very embarrassed about, and once announced to the guards that he was His Excellency's driver, in order to enter the premises of a party thrown for him. Then there's the priceless story about Fermi learning to speak English through reading Winnie the Pooh stories and naming many of his instruments after Pooh characters. And finally, there's the whole saga of the chain reaction (don't miss the bit about the code phrase "The Italian navigator has landed in the New World"). Add to all this, the incredible physicist that Fermi was (among the preciously tiny handful that were both excellent experimentalists as well as brilliant theorists) and his contributions to the tapping of nuclear energy as well as the fundamental physics of Fermionic systems (eg: semiconductors) and you've got yourself a great deal of really neat stuff to write about.

JasonRox said:
None. They would all go to Canada and then the US.

Go canda. taking in all the people we are too lazy to help

1. What is the purpose of this question?

This question is meant to address confusion about the appropriate placement of a forum post. It is seeking clarification and guidance on where the post should be placed.

2. Why is it important to place the forum post in the correct location?

Placing the forum post in the correct location ensures that it will be seen by the appropriate audience and receive the most relevant responses. It also helps maintain organization and makes it easier for others to find and engage with the post.

3. How can I determine the correct placement for my forum post?

You can determine the correct placement for your forum post by considering the topic and purpose of your post. Look for existing forums or categories that align with your post's subject matter. If you are still unsure, you can reach out to a moderator or administrator for guidance.

4. What should I do if I accidentally post in the wrong forum?

If you realize that you have posted in the wrong forum, you should reach out to a moderator or administrator as soon as possible. They can assist you in moving the post to the correct location or provide further guidance.

5. Can I repost my question in a different forum if I do not receive a response?

It is generally not recommended to repost the same question in a different forum. Instead, you can edit your original post to include more information or clarify your question to increase the chances of receiving a response. If you do not receive a response after some time, you can also try reaching out to a moderator or administrator for assistance.