Question on a step in my proof.

• Thread starter Diffy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, to prove that |a-b| = |-(a-b)|, it is necessary to break it down into cases where a-b is positive, negative, or 0. By the definition of absolute value, |a-b| will be equal to (a-b) if a-b is greater than or equal to 0, and equal to -(a-b) if a-b is less than 0. Similarly, |-(a-b)| will be equal to (a-b) if -(a-b) is greater than or equal to 0, and equal to -(a-b) if -(a-b) is less than 0. Therefore, |a-b| will always be equal to |-(a-b)|,
Diffy

I don;t think the actual problem I am trying to prove is relevant. But I have got to a step in my proof where I must show that | a - b | = | -(a - b)|

So by definition
|a - b| = +/- (a-b)

and |-(a - b)| = +/- (- (a - b)) = +/- (a-b)

Thus the two are equal.

Is this acceptable?

Or do I really need to break it down into cases where a - b is Positive negative or 0?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
|a-b|=+/-(a-b) is NOT the definition of absolute value. The definition of |a-b| is that it is (a-b) if a-b>=0 and -(a-b) if a-b<0. You do need to break it into cases. But it's easier to prove |x|=|-x| (by cases) and then set x=a-b.

Got it, yes, I realize I can say |a-b| is greater than or equal to +/- (a-b).

but certainly not equal.

I showed that |x| = |-x| as follows:

case x>0:
If x > 0 then |x| = x by definition. If x>0 then -x<0 since x and -x can't both be in R+. if -x < 0 then |-x| = -(-x) = x

case x = 0. If x = 0 then -x = 0 and |x| = |0| = 0 and |-x| = |0| = 0.

case x < 0. If x<0 then |x| = -x by definition. If x<0 then -x>0 since x and -x can both be in R+. since -x>0, |-x| = -x and we are done.

Diffy said:
Got it, yes, I realize I can say |a-b| is greater than or equal to +/- (a-b).

but certainly not equal.

I showed that |x| = |-x| as follows:

case x>0:
If x > 0 then |x| = x by definition. If x>0 then -x<0 since x and -x can't both be in R+. if -x < 0 then |-x| = -(-x) = x

case x = 0. If x = 0 then -x = 0 and |x| = |0| = 0 and |-x| = |0| = 0.

case x < 0. If x<0 then |x| = -x by definition. If x<0 then -x>0 since x and -x can both be in R+. since -x>0, |-x| = -x and we are done.

That proof is just fine. If you know |ab|=|a||b|, you can also prove it by |-x|=|(-1)*x|=|-1|*|x|=|x|.

Diffy said:
… I have got to a step in my proof where I must show that | a - b | = | -(a - b)|

So by definition
|a - b| = +/- (a-b)

and |-(a - b)| = +/- (- (a - b)) = +/- (a-b)

Thus the two are equal.

Is this acceptable?

Hi Diffy! :smile:

If your main proof required you to show that |a - b| = |b - a|,

then I would say that it is enough to say (a - b) = -(b - a), and therefore |a - b| = |b - a|.

But to show that | a - b | = | -(a - b)|, in that form, doesn't ssem to me to require any proof … |x| = |-x| is part of the definition of ||. :smile:

(btw, using the symbol +/-, or even ±, would not be acceptable … you should use something more rigorous, like √(x2), or sup{x,-x}, or write the concept out in English :wink:)

Diffy said:
If x<0 then -x>0 since x and -x can both be in R+.

That sounds a little funny. If a<b then -a>-b. That's why x<0 implies -x>0.

Dick, there was a mistake,

It should say if x<0 then -x>0 since x and -x can't both be in R+.

I don't have that if a<b then -a>-b anywhere, but I do have in the my order property that only one of the following is true:
a in R+
a = 0
-a in R+

I was attempting to use that. Thanks a lot for your help dick!

Hey TinyTim,

It wasn't immediately clear (at least to me) from my definition so I felt the need to prove it.
I had:
|a| = a if a>0
|a| = 0 if a = 0
|a| = -a if a < 0

Thanks for your help Tiny-Tim!

Diffy said:
Dick, there was a mistake,

It should say if x<0 then -x>0 since x and -x can't both be in R+.

I don't have that if a<b then -a>-b anywhere, but I do have in the my order property that only one of the following is true:
a in R+
a = 0
-a in R+

I was attempting to use that. Thanks a lot for your help dick!

Ok. That makes sense.

Diffy said:
Hey TinyTim,

It wasn't immediately clear (at least to me) from my definition so I felt the need to prove it.
I had:
|a| = a if a>0
|a| = 0 if a = 0
|a| = -a if a < 0

Yes, that method's fine! :smile:

FAQ: Question on a step in my proof.

1. What is the purpose of including a "step" in a proof?

The purpose of including a "step" in a proof is to break down a larger problem or statement into smaller, more manageable pieces. This allows for a clear and organized approach to solving the problem and presenting the proof.

2. How do you know if a step in a proof is valid?

A step in a proof is considered valid if it follows the rules of logic and is supported by previously proven statements or axioms. It should also be clear and easy to understand, without any logical fallacies.

3. Can a step in a proof ever be skipped or omitted?

No, a step in a proof should never be skipped or omitted. Each step is crucial in building the logical chain that leads to the final conclusion. Skipping a step can weaken the validity of the proof and leave room for error.

4. How can I check if my step in a proof is correct?

One way to check if a step in a proof is correct is to work backwards from the conclusion and make sure each step follows logically from the previous one. You can also ask someone else to review your proof and provide feedback.

5. Is it necessary to include all steps in a proof?

Yes, it is important to include all steps in a proof to ensure a complete and thorough explanation. Omitting steps can lead to confusion and weaken the overall validity of the proof.

Back