Question on centrifugal brakes

In summary, the conversation revolved around the request for general values for the friction coefficient, mass of the brake shoes, and spring constant for a centrifugal braking system that would be incorporated into a weight lowering mechanism of 1000kg. The discussion also clarified the meaning of "centrifugal brakes" and provided additional information on the design and function of the braking system.
enkiduz190
hey guys, i was wondering if any of you know the general values for the friction coefficient as well as the mass of the brake shoes and the spring constant for the centrifugal brakes (i know there are probably all sort of values, but please just give me a general rough estimate)? The brake is going to be incoporated in a weight lowering mechanism of about 1000kg.

i tried to search for it, but can't find anything, so if anyone has knowledge in this field, please give me a rough estimate on the values, really appreciate it.
THANKS ALOT!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Enkiduz.
I won't be able to help with any calculations, but I just want to clarify what you mean by 'centrifugal brakes'. I've never heard that term. Do you mean some sort of automatic system such as the 'flyball' governor on a steam engine that stops something when it goes too fast?
In any event, the sort of mechanical device involved would make a big difference to the numbers. While you mentioned how much weight is involved, we don't know what mechanism is doing the work. For example, is it hydraulic, or pulleys and cables, or...?

Last edited:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/elevator5.htm
the braking system i am working on is very similar to the one they have in the diagram, except that instead of using a hook, the centrifugal brakes uses brake shoes and brake pads to stop the rope drum from rotating when it goes too fast.

the braking system i am working on works like this:
the rope drum have cable which connect the lowering platform, if the platform falls too fast, then the centrifugal force will force the brake shoe and the brake pad out, thus stopping the rope drum.
i hope this provides more information as to what i am looking for. thanks guys

I know what you mean now. I've never seen that sort of elevator safety before; I'm more used to the ones that clamp onto the side-rails.
So your idea, it would seem, is to have the same governing system as the one depicted, but with less 'g-load' upon braking. That's a pretty cool idea, and I wish you the best with it. Unfortunately, that doesn't imply that I can help you.

It's a common system on things like mine cages - usually as an emergency system if the motor controlling the cable drum fails.
The problem with using it as the sole speed control is that the brakes heat up and so tend to expand, so putting in more braking force and so more heating - and so on until they seize on.
For lighter load systems like autodesceding abseiling lines you use a fan rotating in a housing and let air ( or oil ) resistance slow it down so it is easier to dump the waste heat.

Thx for the info, i will now modify the design accordingly.

1. What is a centrifugal brake?

A centrifugal brake is a type of braking system that uses centrifugal force to slow down or stop a rotating object, such as a wheel or disc. It works by using friction between brake pads and a spinning surface to slow down the rotation.

2. How does a centrifugal brake work?

A centrifugal brake works by using weights or springs to push brake pads against a spinning surface. As the rotation speed increases, the centrifugal force also increases, causing the brake pads to press harder against the surface and slow down the rotation.

3. What are the advantages of using a centrifugal brake?

Centrifugal brakes have a few advantages over other types of braking systems. They are self-actuating, meaning they do not require external force to engage. They are also able to handle high speeds and temperatures without losing effectiveness.

4. What are the common applications of centrifugal brakes?

Centrifugal brakes are commonly used in vehicles, such as bicycles and cars, to slow down or stop the rotation of wheels. They are also used in industrial equipment, such as centrifuges and pumps, to control the speed of rotating parts.

5. How do you maintain a centrifugal brake?

To maintain a centrifugal brake, it is important to regularly check and replace worn brake pads. It is also important to keep the brake system clean and free of debris, as this can affect its performance. Additionally, following the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule can help ensure the brake system is functioning properly.