1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on current in series

1. Aug 20, 2015 #1
    Take this question as an example ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1440066974.082733.jpg
    They asked for the current flowing through the bulb and the answer is 6A
    I know that it's 12V divided by 2 ohms(2 ohm is the resistance of resistor X) , but why? I thought the current is supposed to be 12V divided by the resistance of bulb and resistor X(total resistance of resistors) since its arranged in series?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2015 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

As stated, the voltage across the resistor X is measured at 12 V, so the other parts of the circuit shouldn't matter.

4. Aug 20, 2015 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Yes, current would be 12/(rtotal), where rtotal is the sum of the series resistances.

I'm not able to agree or disagree with you on the correctness of the textbook's answer, because you haven't disclosed the exact wording of the question. The figure you selected to use as an example is not a particularly good choice---because it examplifies a fundamental wiring "mistake".

5. Aug 20, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

for a idea circuit, yes you could say that. But if it was a real world circuit, that is no longer true. The light globe will have significant resistance
    which will change as it heats up

indeed

@Lim Y K, can you recognise the problem ?

Dave

6. Aug 20, 2015 #5

olivermsun

Science Advisor

I realize that is the case for a real incandescent lightbulb, but since the heated filament resistance, wasn't given in the problem, I'm assuming that the student isn't expected to incorporate that information in the solution.

7. Aug 20, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

maybe but they need to be informed that it isn't like that in the real world and you didn't give that clarification :smile:

the poor guy is already getting confused enough with incorrectly drawn circuits ....

8. Aug 20, 2015 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

This is not the case in the figure I'm seeing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook