Understanding Degenerate States: Rules & Equations

• Thread starter Void123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degeneracy
In summary, degenerate states in quantum mechanics refer to different quantum numbers leading to equal energy values. The determination of degeneracy is usually through trial and error, although some specific cases may have equations or formulas to describe it. In general, it involves solving an eigenvalue equation and determining the dimension of the eigenspace for a certain energy value.
Void123
This might seem like a foolish query, but I'm having a hard time understanding the rules of degenerate states. I know that it describes how different quantum numbers lead to equal energy values, but I'm not sure how you exactly determine that. Is it just trial and error, thinking about different possible combinations, mentally? Or is there an actual equation? For instance, I know there is a formula for the isotrophic harmonic oscillator [tex]g_{n}[/tex], but how does this vary for other phenomena? I've seen it in the forms [tex]n^{2} + 1 [/tex], [tex]n^{2}[/tex], etc. Which one applies to which?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an eigenvalue equation. The only difference is that in qm it is usually an equation in an infinite dimensional Hilbert space.

So you have to solve an equation like

(H-E)|E> = 0

If you find degenerate eigenvalues all you have to do is to determine the dimension of the eigenspace for a certain E and a set of vectors spanning exactly this subspace.

Void123 said:
Is it just trial and error, thinking about different possible combinations, mentally?
In general, yes, it's just trial and error. Only for specific cases can you find an equation or formula to describe the degeneracy of an operator's spectrum.

1. What are degenerate states?

Degenerate states refer to a group of quantum states that have the same energy level. This means that these states are indistinguishable from one another in terms of their energy, and therefore, cannot be differentiated by any measurement.

2. What are the rules for degenerate states?

The main rule for degenerate states is the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This applies to electrons and other particles with half-integer spin.

3. How do degenerate states affect an atom's properties?

Degenerate states can affect an atom's properties by altering the energy levels of the electrons, leading to different electron configurations and thus, different chemical and physical properties. For example, degenerate states can affect an atom's reactivity and stability.

4. What are the equations used to calculate degenerate states?

The most commonly used equation to calculate degenerate states is the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. Other important equations include the Pauli exclusion principle and the Aufbau principle, which helps determine the electron configurations of atoms.

5. How do degenerate states impact quantum computing?

Degenerate states are a crucial concept in quantum computing, as they can be manipulated to store and process information. By manipulating the energy levels of degenerate states, quantum computers can perform calculations much faster and more efficiently compared to classical computers.