Question on Diffraction Grating

In summary, the person is trying to solve a problem involving a diffraction grating. They are using the equation d sin(theta) = m lambda / 2 to find the maximum number of lines/cm for the grating. They have determined that m = 3 for constructive interference and are trying to find the value of sin(theta). They realize the 2 should not be in the equation and are unsure of the maximum value for theta, but eventually determine it to be 90 degrees. The person expresses their understanding and gratitude for the help.
tigerguy
Hi - I'm trying a problem on diffraction grating, and I keep on getting stuck. Maybe someone can help me figure out the last step:

Three, and only three, bright fringes can be seen on either side of the central maximum when a grating is illuminated with light ( wavelegnth = 490 nm). What is the maximum number of lines/cm for the grating?

Basically, what I've done is that I'm using the equation d sin(theta) = m lambda / 2
I figure that because its constructive itnerefrence for 3 fringes, m=3, and the wavelength will equal the aforementioned number. I also know that N= 1/d. So, I'm trying to figure out the value of sin(), but I'm not really sure what theta would equal to. How would I figure that out?

Is my reasoning correct, or am I missing something critical to solving this problem? Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
tigerguy said:
Basically, what I've done is that I'm using the equation d sin(theta) = m lambda / 2
Where did that 2 come from?
So, I'm trying to figure out the value of sin(), but I'm not really sure what theta would equal to.
Hint: What's the maximum value that theta can be?

Oh, the 2 shouldn't be there, because its constructive interference, not destructive. Does the m=3 make sense, too?

I'm not sure what the maximum value can be - would it be 90 degrees (pi/2), because that's the maximum value that sin can be?

tigerguy said:
Oh, the 2 shouldn't be there, because its constructive interference, not destructive.
Right.
Does the m=3 make sense, too?
Makes perfect sense to me.

I'm not sure what the maximum value can be - would it be 90 degrees (pi/2), because that's the maximum value that sin can be?
Not because that angle gives the max value for sin (which it does), but because the greatest displacement from the central maximum will be at 90 degrees. (Any more than that and the light would have to go backwards.)

Great, I understand it now. Thanks so much!

Related to Question on Diffraction Grating

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical component that consists of many closely spaced parallel grooves or slits. It is used to separate light into its component wavelengths, making it a useful tool for studying the properties of light.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

A diffraction grating works by causing light to diffract, or bend, as it passes through the closely spaced slits or grooves. This causes the different wavelengths of light to spread out, resulting in a rainbow-like pattern known as a spectrum.

3. What is the difference between a transmission and reflection diffraction grating?

A transmission diffraction grating allows light to pass through the slits or grooves, while a reflection diffraction grating reflects the light off the surface of the grating. Both types can be used to analyze the properties of light, but a reflection grating is typically more efficient for high-intensity sources.

4. How is a diffraction grating used in scientific research?

A diffraction grating is commonly used in scientific research to analyze the properties of light, such as its wavelength, intensity, and polarization. It is also used in spectroscopy to identify the chemical composition of substances and in astronomy to study the spectra of stars and galaxies.

5. What factors affect the performance of a diffraction grating?

The performance of a diffraction grating can be affected by several factors, including the number of slits or grooves, the spacing between them, the angle of incidence of the light, and the material of the grating. The higher the number of slits or grooves and the smaller the spacing, the higher the resolution of the grating. The angle of incidence also affects the angular dispersion of the diffracted light, while the material of the grating determines its efficiency and wavelength range.