Existence of a Constant c in Subset X with Complement Measure 0

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a subset X of real numbers, whose complement has Lebesgue measure 0. The goal is to show that there exists a constant c such that for all integers n, c + n is in X. The conversation explores different strategies and eventually concludes that the intersection of all sets (X-i) for i an integer cannot be empty, leading to the desired result.
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
Suppose X is a subset of R such that its complement has Lebesgue measure 0. Show that there exists a c such that for all integers n, c + n is in X.

The attempt at a solution
I've been thinking about this for a while and I just don't see how such a c could exists. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
As an example of such a subset X, take the irrational numbers.

I thought about that already. I know that X must contain some irrational c, but how do I know it will contain c + n for all integers n?

Think about the intersection of all of the sets (X-i) for i an integer. Could it possibly be empty?

Last edited:
I had thought of the interesection of the sets X + n for all integers n but that thought didn't develop further. But now that you wrote X - i, I now see how it works. Thanks.

Hmm...maybe I wrote to soon. If the intersection is empty, then the intersection of X - 1, X - 2, etc. is a subset of the complement of X and so has measure 0. But where is the contradiction?

If the intesection is empty, then the complement of the intersection is R. Write down an expression for the complement of the intersection expressed as a union of complements. Do you see a contradiction now?

Oh, I see it now. Duh! Thanks.

What is the purpose of the "Question on Full Measure" study?

The purpose of the "Question on Full Measure" study is to investigate the effectiveness of a specific intervention or treatment on a particular outcome or behavior. This can range from evaluating a new medication to examining the impact of a social program.

How is the "Question on Full Measure" study designed?

The design of the "Question on Full Measure" study will vary depending on the research question and the type of data being collected. However, most studies will have a control group and an intervention group, and will use random assignment to ensure that participants are equally distributed between the two groups.

What is the importance of using a control group in the "Question on Full Measure" study?

A control group is essential in the "Question on Full Measure" study because it allows researchers to compare the effects of the intervention to those who did not receive the treatment. This helps to control for external factors and provides a more accurate assessment of the intervention's impact.

What is the timeline for completing the "Question on Full Measure" study?

The timeline for completing the "Question on Full Measure" study will vary depending on the scope and complexity of the research question, as well as any potential setbacks or delays. In general, a research study can take anywhere from several months to several years to complete.

What are the potential limitations of the "Question on Full Measure" study?

Some potential limitations of the "Question on Full Measure" study could include small sample sizes, biased or incomplete data, and external factors that may influence the results. It is important for researchers to acknowledge and address these limitations in order to accurately interpret the findings of the study.