1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Full Measure

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose X is a subset of R such that its complement has Lebesgue measure 0. Show that there exists a c such that for all integers n, c + n is in X.

The attempt at a solution
    I've been thinking about this for a while and I just don't see how such a c could exists. Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2
    As an example of such a subset X, take the irrational numbers.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    I thought about that already. I know that X must contain some irrational c, but how do I know it will contain c + n for all integers n?

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about the intersection of all of the sets (X-i) for i an integer. Could it possibly be empty?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  6. Oct 21, 2009 #5
    I had thought of the interesection of the sets X + n for all integers n but that thought didn't develop further. But now that you wrote X - i, I now see how it works. Thanks.

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6
    Hmm...maybe I wrote to soon. If the intersection is empty, then the intersection of X - 1, X - 2, etc. is a subset of the complement of X and so has measure 0. But where is the contradiction?

8. Oct 21, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the intesection is empty, then the complement of the intersection is R. Write down an expression for the complement of the intersection expressed as a union of complements. Do you see a contradiction now?

9. Oct 21, 2009 #8
    Oh, I see it now. Duh! Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook