Is it possible to extend Newtonian gravity to include energy as well as mass?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether Newtonian gravity can be expanded to include not only bodies with mass, but also energy. The expert explains that this is not possible as it would no longer be Newtonian gravity. The conversation then delves into the nature of spacetime and how it is affected by gravity, as well as the limitations of Newtonian gravity in regards to fast moving objects like light. The expert also clarifies the difference between perceiving the 3D world and constructing a 4D model of spacetime. The conversation concludes with the expert advising the individual to clarify their question and explaining that understanding general relativity would require a more in-depth discussion.
trees and plants
Hello there.My question is:can Newtonian gravity be generalised to include not only bodies with mass but energy also?Thank you.Can my thread be moved to classical physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Um... bodies in Newtonian physics do typically have energy, and Newtonian physics works as is. What generalisation do you think is needed?

Ibix said:
Um... bodies in Newtonian physics do typically have energy, and Newtonian physics works as is. What generalisation do you think is needed?
You mean kinetic energy?Sorry for my thread and question perhaps it should be deleted.

Kinetic energy, heat, chemical potential, all sorts. They don't affect gravity in Newtonian physics but they are present.

Does gravity pull electromagnetic radiation like light?Did general relativity involve light as a case for this?I somewhere read that Newtonian gravity also predicts the bending of light from gravity.

universe function said:
Does gravity pull electromagnetic radiation like light?
You already know that it does, from how you phrased your question here.
universe function said:
I somewhere read that Newtonian gravity also predicts the bending of light from gravity.
Where did you read this? It's possible to kinda sort of put light into a model of Newtonian gravity, but the obvious way to do it gives the wrong answer for the deflection angle and some approaches say it won't be deflected at all. Fundamentally, Newtonian gravity is a low-speed weak field approximation to general relativity and is invalid for fast moving objects, of which light is an excellent example.

universe function said:
Can my thread be moved to classical physics?

Not if you're going to ask questions like this:

universe function said:
Does gravity pull electromagnetic radiation like light?

That isn't a question about classical physics, it's a question about physics, period, and should be answered using our best current theories of physics, which in this case would be GR.

Ibix said:
You already know that it does, from how you phrased your question here.

Where did you read this? It's possible to kinda sort of put light into a model of Newtonian gravity, but the obvious way to do it gives the wrong answer for the deflection angle and some approaches say it won't be deflected at all. Fundamentally, Newtonian gravity is a low-speed weak field approximation to general relativity and is invalid for fast moving objects, of which light is an excellent example.
What about other kinds of electromagnetic radiation like gamma rays, radio waves, microwaves or other types of radiation like gravitational radiation, beta radiation or sounds?Are they pulled by the gravity of a body like the sun or a star?Are there other physical objects like radiation without mass that are energies?Are they pulled by gravity?

Everything is affected by gravity. Anything that isn't would violate the equivalence principle and there is exactly zero evidence of such a violation.

My other questions are off thread:Is spacetime only a mathematical construct or is it something physical?Because it is in four dimensions we can not know because we do not perceive it in real life?Some people I think say that general relativity imply that the current universe we perceive is a shadow of the real is this wrong?Is curvature of spacetime a consequence of the unification of space and time, because without time passing we would not know how spacetime is curved?Sorry if I made wrong questions.

universe function said:
Is spacetime only a mathematical construct or is it something physical?

It's something physical--at least, that's the standard interpretation of GR.

universe function said:
Because it is in four dimensions we can not know because we do not perceive it in real life?

We do perceive four dimensions in real life: three dimensions of space and one of time. There is a difference between them since we can move in arbitrary directions in space, but we can only move into the future in time. The mathematical model of relativity reflects this difference since spacelike and timelike curves are treated differently.

universe function said:
Some people I think say that general relativity imply that the current universe we perceive is a shadow of the real is this wrong?

You would need to give specific references that make such claims before we could answer this question.

universe function said:
Is curvature of spacetime a consequence of the unification of space and time

I'm not sure this question makes sense.

universe function said:
without time passing we would not know how spacetime is curved?

It is true that detecting spacetime curvature requires measurements to be made that include the dimension of time. However, "without time passing" makes no sense since we cannot avoid time passing.

universe function said:
Some people I think say that general relativity imply that the current universe we perceive is a shadow of the real is this wrong?
The universe we perceive is a 3d subspace of the 4d whole, following GR's notions of spacetime.
universe function said:
Is curvature of spacetime a consequence of the unification of space and time
Well, you couldn't have curvature of spacetime without spacetime. But you can have flat spacetime.

Ibix said:
The universe we perceive is a 3d subspace of the 4d whole

This depends on what you mean by "the universe we perceive". What we perceive directly is our past light cone, which is not a 3d spacelike hypersurface. What we construct from our perceptions is a mathematical model of a 4d spacetime, which can be "sliced" into 3d spacelike hypersurfaces one of which we label "now". So it can be said that we construct a 3d subspace (but that's not all we construct), but I don't think that's the same as perceiving it.

What is this thread about? It seems to be meandering all over the place.

Can Newtonian gravity be generalised to include not only bodies with mass but energy also?

Has a simple answer: "No, because then it would be something other than Newtonian gravity." If you then want to change this to something kinda-sorta-like-Newtonian gravity, you need to explain to us what you mean by kinda-sorta-like-Newtonian gravity and why GR doesn't "count".

If you instead want to know what GR is, that is probably too big a bite for one thread.

Likes Pyter
PeterDonis said:
I don't think that's the same as perceiving it.
Well, the past light cone is a 3d surface, isn't it? ##S^2\times R##? It's not spacelike, indeed, but that's why I said "subspace" and avoided words like "slice", which I'd agree fit a spacelike "now" better.

Likes Dale
Ibix said:
Well, the past light cone is a 3d surface, isn't it? ##S^2\times R##? It's not spacelike, indeed, but that's why I said "subspace" and avoided words like "slice", which I'd agree fit a spacelike "now" better.

##S^2\times R## is not a "3d surface" in the usual sense of that term--that would be ##R^3##. It is a topological 3-manifold, but it is "missing a point" (the apex point of the cone, which is the event "here and now").

Vanadium 50 said:
What is this thread about? It seems to be meandering all over the place.
Has a simple answer: "No, because then it would be something other than Newtonian gravity." If you then want to change this to something kinda-sorta-like-Newtonian gravity, you need to explain to us what you mean by kinda-sorta-like-Newtonian gravity and why GR doesn't "count".

If you instead want to know what GR is, that is probably too big a bite for one thread.
I think general relativity is the answer as the next generalisation to Newtonian gravity.I try to learn general relativity,trying to learn about light cones, world lines, solutions of the einstein field equations, but I think the introduction has pretty much taken a big part of my interest and although I want to read about de Sitter spacetime or other spacetimes I find it difficult to not consider these topics on general relativity as of less interest compared with the introduction of general relativity.

PeterDonis said:
the apex point of the cone, which is the event "here and now"
Ah, yes. Had forgotten that bit.

PeterDonis said:
##S^2\times R## is not a "3d surface" in the usual sense of that term--that would be ##R^3##. It is a topological 3-manifold, but it is "missing a point" (the apex point of the cone, which is the event "here and now").
Well, you could add that point - it makes sense to do so for a directly experienced notion of now. Then, I believe the topology does become R3.

PAllen said:
you could add that point - it makes sense to do so for a directly experienced notion of now.

I'm not sure I would say we experience all the events on our past light cones, from which we are receiving light signals here and now, as "now". We construct a "now" from that information, but I don't think we directly experience that information as "now", except at very short distances (roughly speaking, where the light travel time is less than the characteristic time for our brains to process information--something like 10 milliseconds).

PAllen said:
Then, I believe the topology does become R3.

Adding the apex point would make the topology ##R^3##, yes, but it would induce a discontinuity in the tangent vectors to the manifold at the apex point.

universe function said:
I think general relativity is the answer as the next generalisation to Newtonian gravity.I try to learn general relativity,trying to learn about light cones, world lines, solutions of the einstein field equations, but I think the introduction has pretty much taken a big part of my interest and although I want to read about de Sitter spacetime or other spacetimes I find it difficult to not consider these topics on general relativity as of less interest compared with the introduction of general relativity.

It's good that you want to learn about GR, but one PF thread is not going to accomplish that. You will need to spend some time working through textbooks--I would recommend Sean Carroll's online lecture notes as a starting point:

https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019

You can ask particular questions in new threads about things you have difficulty understanding; but "I want to learn about GR" is much too broad and general as a topic for a PF thread.

Likes Dale
An intuitive answer: the Newtonian limit can be considered as a c-->oo limit of GR. On dimensional grounds this explains why time derivatives, going as 1/c, and energy terms, going as 1/c^2, are contracted away.

A similar question to your OP would be: can Newtonian gravity be extended such that the gravitational potential becomes time-dependent (i.e. the partial derivative w.r.t. t becomes non-zero)?

haushofer said:
the Newtonian limit can be considered as a c-->oo limit of GR. On dimensional grounds this explains why time derivatives, going as 1/c, and energy terms, going as 1/c^2, are contracted away.

Not all time derivatives. Velocities have to be small compared to ##c##, so terms in velocities that are in GR but not in Newtonian gravity go away. But not all time derivatives are like that. See below.

haushofer said:
can Newtonian gravity be extended such that the gravitational potential becomes time-dependent (i.e. the partial derivative w.r.t. t becomes non-zero)?

This already happens in Newtonian gravity for non-static systems, i.e., systems where mass is in motion. The GR terms in ##v / c## induced by such motions vanish in the Newtonian approximation; but the time derivatives of the direct Newtonian potential terms due to the moving masses don't.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Not all time derivatives. Velocities have to be small compared to ##c##, so terms in velocities that are in GR but not in Newtonian gravity go away. But not all time derivatives are like that. See below.
This already happens in Newtonian gravity for non-static systems, i.e., systems where mass is in motion. The GR terms in ##v / c## induced by such motions vanish in the Newtonian approximation; but the time derivatives of the direct Newtonian potential terms due to the moving masses don't.

Yes, I should be more clear. Of course, a time-dependent mass density makes the potential time dependent. I meant that it's impossible (AFAIK) to extend the Poisson equation with a time derivative of the potential.

haushofer said:
I meant that it's impossible (AFAIK) to extend the Poisson equation with a time derivative of the potential.

Yes, agreed.

1. How does Newtonian gravity differ from Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Newtonian gravity is a classical theory that describes the force of gravity as a mutual attraction between two objects with mass. On the other hand, Einstein's theory of general relativity is a modern theory that describes gravity as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. Can Newtonian gravity be generalized to include energy as well as mass?

Yes, Newtonian gravity can be generalized to include energy by using the concept of gravitational potential energy. This potential energy arises from the gravitational force between two objects and is dependent on their masses and separation distance.

3. What is the relationship between mass and energy in Newtonian gravity?

In Newtonian gravity, mass and energy are considered to be separate entities. Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to acceleration, while energy is the ability to do work. However, in Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass and energy are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into each other through the famous equation E=mc^2.

4. How does the inclusion of energy in Newtonian gravity affect its predictions?

The inclusion of energy in Newtonian gravity does not significantly affect its predictions in most situations. However, in extreme cases such as near the speed of light or near massive objects like black holes, the predictions of Newtonian gravity may deviate significantly from those of general relativity.

5. Is Newtonian gravity still considered a valid theory in modern science?

Yes, Newtonian gravity is still considered a valid theory in many situations and is widely used in fields such as engineering and astronomy. However, it has been superseded by Einstein's theory of general relativity in cases where high precision and accuracy are required, such as in the study of gravitational waves or the orbits of planets around the sun.