Understanding the Binding of Kininogen at Different pH Levels

• Thread starter Mr_Bio
  • Start date
In summary, the binding of kininogen is less sensitive to physiological pH changes because the pKa of the lysine side chain is much higher than that of histidine, allowing it to remain positively charged at higher pH levels.
Mr_Bio

Homework Statement

Why is the binding of kininogen less sensitive to physiological pH changes?

A) the pKa of the lysine side chain is much higher than that of HIS so it remains positive at higher pH
B) Lysine forms a covalent interaction with heparin
C) The lysine side chain is positively charged over the ppH range 0-14.
D) the pKa of the lysine side chain is much lower than that of HIS so it remains positive at higher pH

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on this question -- I believe the answer is A) as I looked up the pkAs and this seems to be true. However, I'm not sure if there is a better answer or not.

Likes pinkfloyd
Physics news on Phys.org
It's funny that I started to read this as 4 full reasons why, and I had a revelation at answer A, so I didn't even read the others. Yes, it's A. And I'm assuming that you don't need this answer anymore (or your homework is 7 years late-- edit: to the day!), but hopefully this helps others.

1. What is kininogen?

Kininogen is a protein found in the blood that plays a role in the regulation of blood pressure and inflammation.

2. How is kininogen related to the kinin system?

Kininogen is the precursor molecule for kinins, which are small peptides involved in various physiological processes such as vascular permeability and pain sensation.

3. What is the function of kininogen?

Kininogen is primarily involved in the production of kinins, which have a variety of functions such as vasodilation, smooth muscle contraction, and inflammation.

4. Are there different types of kininogen?

Yes, there are two types of kininogen: high-molecular-weight kininogen (HMWK) and low-molecular-weight kininogen (LMWK). They differ in size and function, with HMWK being the precursor for most kinins and LMWK being involved in clotting.

5. How is kininogen related to diseases or conditions?

Kininogen has been linked to a number of diseases and conditions, including cardiovascular diseases, inflammatory disorders, and cancer. Abnormal levels of kininogen can also indicate certain disorders, such as hereditary angioedema.