Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Lie groups

1. Mar 16, 2007 #1
    Does anybody know the answer of the following problem?

Show that the Lie group of Euclidean motions of R^3 has a Lie algebra g which is perfect i.e., Dg=g but g is not semisimple.
    By Dg I mean the commutator [g,g] and a semisimple lie algebra is one has no nonzero solvable ideals.

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is the following helpful?
    1. Write down the lie algebra
    2. show that Dg=g
    3. find a solvable non-zero ideal (there will be an obvious candidate - this must be the easiest part)

4. Mar 16, 2007 #3
    does the lie group of Euclidean motions of R^3 means O(3) i.e. rotations?

5. Mar 16, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. I don't think so. I think it means distance preserving maps (not just linear maps) - so rotations and translations, and reflections. (SO(3) is the group of rotations, not O(3)).

6. Mar 16, 2007 #5
    you're right. So what is the Lie algebra of transformation preserving distance?
    Since I'm learning Lie theory by myself, I have lots of questions even in definitions!!

7. Mar 16, 2007 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write down the lie group, then work out its lie algebra. I'll give you the lie group.

G:= O(3)\sdp R^3, that is the semi direct product. It is the set of pairs (X,V) with X in O(3) and v in R^3, and the composition:

(X,v)(Y,w)=(XY,Xw+ v).

You have been told how to find lie algebras (or someone else has in another thread currently active in this forum).

8. Mar 16, 2007 #7
    Ok!

many thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?