Prove Perfect Lie Algebra of R^3 Euclidean Motions Isn't Semisimple

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the Lie group of Euclidean motions of R^3 has a Lie algebra that is perfect, meaning that Dg=g but it is not semisimple. The group is defined as the set of pairs (X,V) with X in O(3) and V in R^3, and the composition is given by (X,v)(Y,w)=(XY,Xw+v). The task is to find a solvable non-zero ideal for this group.
arz2000
Does anybody know the answer of the following problem?

Show that the Lie group of Euclidean motions of R^3 has a Lie algebra g which is perfect i.e., Dg=g but g is not semisimple.
By Dg I mean the commutator [g,g] and a semisimple lie algebra is one has no nonzero solvable ideals.

Regards

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is the following helpful?
1. Write down the lie algebra
2. show that Dg=g
3. find a solvable non-zero ideal (there will be an obvious candidate - this must be the easiest part)

does the lie group of Euclidean motions of R^3 means O(3) i.e. rotations?

No. I don't think so. I think it means distance preserving maps (not just linear maps) - so rotations and translations, and reflections. (SO(3) is the group of rotations, not O(3)).

you're right. So what is the Lie algebra of transformation preserving distance?
Since I'm learning Lie theory by myself, I have lots of questions even in definitions!

Write down the lie group, then work out its lie algebra. I'll give you the lie group.

G:= O(3)\sdp R^3, that is the semi direct product. It is the set of pairs (X,V) with X in O(3) and v in R^3, and the composition:

(X,v)(Y,w)=(XY,Xw+ v).

You have been told how to find lie algebras (or someone else has in another thread currently active in this forum).

Ok!

many thanks

What is the definition of a perfect Lie algebra?

A perfect Lie algebra is a type of Lie algebra in which the commutator of any two elements is always a linear combination of other elements in the algebra. This means that the commutator of any two elements is always contained within the algebra itself.

What is the definition of a semisimple Lie algebra?

A semisimple Lie algebra is a type of Lie algebra that does not contain any non-trivial ideals. This means that the only subalgebras of a semisimple Lie algebra are the trivial ones, which consist of just the identity element.

How can you prove that the perfect Lie algebra of R^3 Euclidean motions isn't semisimple?

To prove that the perfect Lie algebra of R^3 Euclidean motions isn't semisimple, you can show that it contains non-trivial ideals. This can be done using the commutator relations of the algebra, which can be calculated using the structure constants of the algebra.

What are the implications of the perfect Lie algebra of R^3 Euclidean motions not being semisimple?

If the perfect Lie algebra of R^3 Euclidean motions isn't semisimple, it means that there are non-trivial subalgebras of the algebra. This can have implications in applications such as physics and engineering, where Lie algebras are used to describe symmetries and transformations.

Are there any other types of Lie algebras besides perfect and semisimple?

Yes, there are many other types of Lie algebras, including solvable Lie algebras, nilpotent Lie algebras, and reductive Lie algebras. Each type has its own set of defining properties and can be used to describe different types of mathematical structures and systems.