Solving Question on Phasors: Transform into Exponential & Back to Sinusoidal

• Thread starter Teczero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phasors
In summary, the conversation discusses converting a function written in phasor notation to the exponential function and back to the sinusoidal function. The process involves using a phase reference and multiplying the phasor by expjωt. By understanding this concept, it becomes easier to convert between phasor and time domain quantities.
Teczero
Hi everyone!

I understand the general concept but I came across a function such as:

E(t)= 0.1 sin[10(pi)x]cos[6(pi)10^9t - Bz]

I'm supposed to combine them using phasors and I'm really confused how to

a) Transform it into the exponential function
b) Transform it back in the sinusoidal function

Thank you for the help =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First let us review how to covert a quantity written in phasor notation to time domain. As soon as you learn that it will be very simple to reverse the operation.

Assume that we have the phasor:

E(x, y, z) = A(x, y, z) exp

Where:
-A is any real function of x, y, and z.
- ф is the phase reference.

The time domain of this phasor is e(x, y, z, t) and is given by:

e(x, y, z, t) = Re [ E(x, y, z) * expjωt] = Re [A(x, y, z) expj(ωt+ф)]
So,
e( x, y, z) = A(x, y, z) cos(ωt + ф)

Now to convert a time domain quantity to a phasor just remove the term [cos(ωt + ф)] and multiply A(x, y, z) by exp

I would advise breaking down the problem into smaller steps to better understand and solve it. First, let's review the concept of phasors. A phasor is a complex number that represents the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal function. It can be represented in the form Ae^(jθ), where A is the amplitude and θ is the phase angle.

To transform a sinusoidal function into its exponential form, we can use Euler's formula: e^(jθ) = cos(θ) + jsin(θ). This means that we can rewrite the function E(t) as:

E(t) = 0.1[e^(j10πx) - e^(-j10πx)][e^(j6π10^9t - Bz) + e^(-j6π10^9t + Bz)]

This is now in the form of A1e^(jθ1) + A2e^(jθ2), which can be represented as a phasor with two components: A1e^(jθ1) and A2e^(jθ2). To combine them, we can use the phasor addition formula: A1e^(jθ1) + A2e^(jθ2) = (A1cosθ1 + A2cosθ2) + j(A1sinθ1 + A2sinθ2).

To transform back into the sinusoidal function, we can use the inverse of Euler's formula: cos(θ) = (e^(jθ) + e^(-jθ))/2 and sin(θ) = (e^(jθ) - e^(-jθ))/2j. This means that we can rewrite the function as:

E(t) = 0.1[(e^(j10πx) + e^(-j10πx))/2][e^(j6π10^9t - Bz) + e^(-j6π10^9t + Bz))/2j]

Now we can simplify this expression to get the sinusoidal function again. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

What are phasors and why are they important in solving questions related to sinusoidal functions?

Phasors are complex numbers that represent the magnitude and phase of a sinusoidal function. They are important in solving questions related to sinusoidal functions because they allow us to combine multiple sinusoidal functions and analyze their behavior in a simpler and more efficient way.

How do you transform a sinusoidal function into its corresponding phasor form?

To transform a sinusoidal function into its corresponding phasor form, we first need to express the function using complex numbers. This is done by converting the cosine or sine function into its complex exponential form using Euler's formula. Then, we can take the real part of the complex exponential to obtain the phasor form.

How do you convert a phasor back into its sinusoidal function form?

To convert a phasor back into its sinusoidal function form, we first need to express the phasor as a complex exponential. Then, we can use Euler's formula to convert it back into a cosine or sine function. Lastly, we take the real part to obtain the sinusoidal function form.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving questions on phasors?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving questions on phasors include forgetting to take the real part when converting between phasor and sinusoidal forms, using incorrect polar form of complex numbers, and not considering the phase shifts when combining multiple phasors.

How are phasors used in practical applications?

Phasors are commonly used in electrical engineering, particularly in analyzing and designing AC circuits. They are also used in signal processing, communications, and other fields that involve the analysis of periodic signals. Phasors allow us to simplify complex calculations and visualize the behavior of sinusoidal functions in a more intuitive way.