Question on solid angle of sphere.

In summary, the surface area of a sphere is 4πsr, where the area of one sr is r^2. The formula dΩ = sinθdθdϕ is derived from the surface area formula dS = (Rdθ)(Rsinθdϕ), where Ω = S/R^2. This is further shown through the surface element perpendicular to the unit vector r, which is given by dΩ = sinθdθdϕr. The order of the cross product should be such that dΩ is positive.
yungman
I understand the surface of the sphere is [itex]4\pi [/itex] sr. where the area of one sr is [itex]r^2[/itex].

My question is why [itex] d\Omega = sin \theta \;d \theta \;d\phi[/itex]? Can anyone show me how to derive this.

Is it because surface area [itex]dS = (Rd\theta)(R\; sin\;\theta\;d\phi)\;\hbox { so if }\; \Omega = \frac S {R^2} \;\Rightarrow \; d\Omega = \frac {d\;S}{R^2}= sin \theta d\theta d \phi[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \vec{r} = r( cos(\phi)sin(\theta) \hat{i} + sin(\phi)sin(\theta) \hat{j} + cos(\theta) \hat{k} ) [/tex]
and the surface element perpendicular to [itex] \hat{r} [/itex] is:
[tex] d\Omega = \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial \theta} \ d\theta \wedge \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial \phi} \ d\phi [/tex]
which gives:
[tex] d\Omega = sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi \hat{r} [/tex]

EDIT: I can't remember which order the cross product should go, but it should be such that [itex] d\Omega [/itex] is positive.

Last edited:

1. What is solid angle of a sphere?

The solid angle of a sphere is a measure of the amount of space covered by a three-dimensional object when viewed from a specific point. It is a measure of the extent to which an object can be seen from a certain direction.

2. How is the solid angle of a sphere calculated?

The solid angle of a sphere can be calculated by dividing the surface area of the sphere by the square of its radius. This can be expressed as Ω = A/R², where Ω is the solid angle, A is the surface area, and R is the radius of the sphere.

3. What are the units of solid angle?

The unit of solid angle is steradian (sr), which is defined as the solid angle subtended by a surface on a sphere that has an area equal to the square of the sphere's radius. It is a dimensionless unit and is often used in conjunction with other units, such as square meters (m²).

4. Why is solid angle important in science?

Solid angle is important in science because it allows us to quantify the amount of space covered by an object and understand its visibility from different points of view. It is used in various fields such as physics, astronomy, and computer graphics to describe the distribution of light, sound, or other physical quantities in three-dimensional space.

5. How does solid angle differ from regular angle?

Solid angle is a measure of three-dimensional space, while regular angle is a measure of two-dimensional space. In other words, solid angle takes into account the three-dimensional nature of an object, while regular angle only considers its two-dimensional shape. Additionally, solid angle is measured in steradians, while regular angle is measured in degrees or radians.