Why Does Adding Strong Acid Change the Color of Metal Ion Solutions?

• Thread starter Eureka99
  • Start date
In summary, the color of a solution fades when a cation is mixed with a strong acid. This is due to the formation of colorless complexes, and the dilution of the cation.
Eureka99
Hi everybody!
Does anyone knows why when a cation is mixed with a strong acid the color of the solution (if it's colored) fades a little bit, depending on the concentration of the acid?
For example an "orangy" solution that contains Fe3+, If HCl 2 M is added the color turns yellow, and if H2SO4 6 M is added instead it turns transparent. Is it due to the formation of colorless complexes (like FeCl4-)? Is it even possible that a complex is formed adding only the acid, with an excess of the ligand (like in the first case Cl-)?
The same thing happens with, Fe 2+, Co2+, Cr 3+, Ni 2+ and Co2+ solutions ( I did it in the laboratory) , and I'm not able to explain it.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Definitely there are changes in complexes present. OH- is a ligand, when you lower pH you remove it from the solution shifting the equilibrium. Cl- is a ligand, when you add it to the solution, you shift the equilibrium.

But perhaps the simplest explanation is that you are diluting the cation adding the acid?

Likes Eureka99
Ok. Even if it's due to the dilution, isn't the dilution also based on another equilibrium of a complex that is shifted? I know for example, that most of the time, increasing [H+] concentration, if the ligand comes from a weak acid, more cations are freed in the solution and colors can fade, as the concentration of the complex decreases. Can It also possibly be, something about that concept?

Eureka99 said:
isn't the dilution also based on another equilibrium of a complex

No. Do you know the Beer-Lambert law? Just lowering the concentration makes the color fade.

Neither of the acids you have listed is a weak one, so that doesn't matter here (but yes, it can be an important factor in other cases).

Borek said:
No. Do you know the Beer-Lambert law? Just lowering the concentration makes the color fade.

Neither of the acids you have listed is a weak one, so that doesn't matter here (but yes, it can be an important factor in other cases).

I don't know much about this law, but If I didn't get it wrong is due to optics reasons the fading color. Anyway now it's a bit clearer to me :smile:
Thank you for the help!

What is a solution?

A solution is a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances. It is made up of a solute, which is the substance being dissolved, and a solvent, which is the substance in which the solute is dissolved.

What are the different types of solutions?

There are three main types of solutions: solid solutions, liquid solutions, and gaseous solutions. Solid solutions are a mixture of two or more solids, such as alloys. Liquid solutions are a mixture of two or more liquids, such as saltwater. Gaseous solutions are a mixture of two or more gases, such as air.

What factors affect the solubility of a substance?

The solubility of a substance can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent. Generally, an increase in temperature and pressure can increase the solubility of a substance, while the nature of the solute and solvent can also play a role in their ability to dissolve in each other.

How do you calculate the concentration of a solution?

The concentration of a solution can be calculated by dividing the amount of solute by the amount of solvent or solution. This can be expressed as a percentage, parts per million (ppm), or molarity (moles per liter).

What is the difference between a saturated and unsaturated solution?

A saturated solution is one in which the maximum amount of solute has been dissolved in the solvent at a given temperature and pressure. An unsaturated solution is one in which more solute can still be dissolved in the solvent. If more solute is added to a saturated solution, it will not dissolve and will form a precipitate.