1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on total moment of inertia

1. Nov 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A lawn sprinkler has three spouts that spray water, each r = 15.5 cm long. As the water is sprayed, the sprinkler turns around in a circle. The sprinkler has a total moment of inertia of 9.10 10^-2 kg · m2. If the sprinkler starts from rest and takes 2.60 s to reach its final speed of 3.0 rev/s, what force does each spout exert on the sprinkler?

2. Relevant equations
    I= N * M * R ^2, not sure about N

3. The attempt at a solution
    The radius is .155 m, I = 9.10 * 10^-2 , I can't figure out how to get M, do i use the fact that it takes "takes 2.60 s to reach its final speed of 3.0 rev/s" , please lay it out for me , thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

You have a speed and a time, which means you can calculate acceleration. You're also given a moment of inertia, which means you can find something else useful.

Then given that other useful piece of information, you should be able to find your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook