Question on voltage in a Thevenin equivalent circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter influx
  • Start date
thevneogo.png

I am trying to refresh my basic electricity knowledge so the questions might be a little stupid lol.

1) Am I correct in saying that the voltage, V1, across the 6 ohm resistor is equal to the VOC?

2) Why isn't the voltage across the voltage source, V2, equal to V1 and VOC? I thought that the voltages in a parallel circuit are equal?

Cheers!

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
thevneogo.png

I am trying to refresh my basic electricity knowledge so the questions might be a little stupid lol.

1) Am I correct in saying that the voltage, V1, across the 6 ohm resistor is equal to the VOC?
Yes. There's no potential drop across the 5 Ω resistor when terminals a-b are open as shown.

2) Why isn't the voltage across the voltage source, V2, equal to V1 and VOC? I thought that the voltages in a parallel circuit are equal?
They are not in parallel. There are components in between their respective leads. In particular, the 3 Ω resistor and the controlled voltage source separate the 10 V supply and the 6 Ω resistor's upper leads.

Yes. There's no potential drop across the 5 Ω resistor when terminals a-b are open as shown.

They are not in parallel. There are components in between their respective leads. In particular, the 3 Ω resistor and the controlled voltage source separate the 10 V supply and the 6 Ω resistor's upper leads.

So if there are components between the wire connecting two elements, the two elements are not in parallel?

Thanks

gneill
Mentor
So if there are components between the wire connecting two elements, the two elements are not in parallel?

Thanks

Correct. For two components to be in parallel they must share two nodes.