Question on voltage in a Thevenin equivalent circuit

In summary, the speaker is seeking clarification on the voltage, V1, across the 6 ohm resistor and its relation to the open circuit voltage (VOC). They also question the equality of the voltage across the voltage source, V2, to V1 and VOC, and the misconception that voltages in a parallel circuit are always equal. The expert responds by explaining the components between the leads and how they affect the voltage. The conversation concludes with the speaker understanding that for two components to be in parallel, they must share two nodes.
influx
thevneogo.png

I am trying to refresh my basic electricity knowledge so the questions might be a little stupid lol.

1) Am I correct in saying that the voltage, V1, across the 6 ohm resistor is equal to the VOC?

2) Why isn't the voltage across the voltage source, V2, equal to V1 and VOC? I thought that the voltages in a parallel circuit are equal?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
influx said:
thevneogo.png

I am trying to refresh my basic electricity knowledge so the questions might be a little stupid lol.

1) Am I correct in saying that the voltage, V1, across the 6 ohm resistor is equal to the VOC?
Yes. There's no potential drop across the 5 Ω resistor when terminals a-b are open as shown.

2) Why isn't the voltage across the voltage source, V2, equal to V1 and VOC? I thought that the voltages in a parallel circuit are equal?
They are not in parallel. There are components in between their respective leads. In particular, the 3 Ω resistor and the controlled voltage source separate the 10 V supply and the 6 Ω resistor's upper leads.

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
Yes. There's no potential drop across the 5 Ω resistor when terminals a-b are open as shown.

They are not in parallel. There are components in between their respective leads. In particular, the 3 Ω resistor and the controlled voltage source separate the 10 V supply and the 6 Ω resistor's upper leads.

So if there are components between the wire connecting two elements, the two elements are not in parallel?

Thanks

influx said:
So if there are components between the wire connecting two elements, the two elements are not in parallel?

Thanks

Correct. For two components to be in parallel they must share two nodes.

I am happy to help clarify your understanding of voltage in a Thevenin equivalent circuit.

1) Yes, you are correct in saying that the voltage, V1, across the 6 ohm resistor is equal to the open-circuit voltage (VOC). This is because the Thevenin equivalent circuit is designed to simplify complex circuits into a single voltage source and a single resistor, where the voltage across the resistor (V1) is equal to the voltage of the original circuit when it is open (VOC).

2) While it is true that in a parallel circuit, the voltages across each branch are equal, this is not necessarily the case in a Thevenin equivalent circuit. This is because the Thevenin equivalent circuit is an approximation of the original circuit, and the voltage across the voltage source (V2) is determined by the voltage divider rule, rather than being equal to V1 and VOC. This is due to the presence of the equivalent resistor, which affects the voltage distribution in the circuit.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of voltage in a Thevenin equivalent circuit. Keep asking questions and learning, there is no such thing as a stupid question in science!

What is a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains a voltage source and a series resistance. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of a circuit without having to calculate the values of all the individual components.

How is the Thevenin equivalent circuit calculated?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is calculated by finding the open circuit voltage and the equivalent resistance of the original circuit. The open circuit voltage is the voltage that would be measured if the circuit was disconnected, and the equivalent resistance is the resistance between the two terminals where the voltage is measured.

Why is the Thevenin equivalent circuit useful?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is useful because it simplifies complex circuits, making them easier to understand and analyze. It also allows for simpler calculations and can help determine the maximum power that can be delivered to a load in the circuit.

How does voltage behave in a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

In a Thevenin equivalent circuit, the voltage remains constant regardless of the load connected to the circuit. This is because the open circuit voltage and the equivalent resistance determine the voltage at the load, and these values do not change with the load.

Can a Thevenin equivalent circuit be used for AC circuits?

Yes, a Thevenin equivalent circuit can be used for AC circuits. The open circuit voltage and equivalent resistance values may change depending on the frequency of the AC signal, but the concept remains the same.