Question on Weak Energy Condition

In summary, the restriction on T^{\mu\nu} is that the product of T^{\mu\nu} and u^au^b must be greater than zero, where u is a timelike vector representing the 4-velocity of an observer. This ensures that the energy density is positive for all observers, regardless of their 4-velocity.
robousy
Hi,

I have just read that one of the restrictions on [tex]T^{\mu\nu}[/tex] is that:

[tex]T^{\mu\nu}u^au^b > 0

[/tex]

where u is a timelike vector.

Can someone please tell me WHAT u actually is (other than saying it is a timelike vector).

What sort of vector is it, what is the context?

i.e Once I have obtained the stress energy tensor and I want to test the weak energy condition then what u's to I multiply it by to see if it is greater than zero?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
robousy said:
Hi,

I have just read that one of the restrictions on [tex]T^{\mu\nu}[/tex] is that:

[tex]T^{\mu\nu}u^au^b > 0

[/tex]

where u is a timelike vector.

Can someone please tell me WHAT u actually is (other than saying it is a timelike vector).

What sort of vector is it, what is the context?

i.e Once I have obtained the stress energy tensor and I want to test the weak energy condition then what u's to I multiply it by to see if it is greater than zero?

Thanks!

u is the 4-velocity of a hypothetical observer. An observer can't have a space-like 4-vector, an observer must be moving slower than light. The above equation is thus telling you that the energy density must be positive for all observers, where an observer can have any 4-velocity as long as it's timelike.

aaah, ok thanks a lot.

That makes sense.

1. What is the Weak Energy Condition (WEC)?

The Weak Energy Condition is a principle in physics that states that the energy density at any given point in space must be non-negative. This means that the total amount of energy at that point must be either zero or positive.

2. Why is the Weak Energy Condition important?

The Weak Energy Condition is important because it is one of the fundamental principles of general relativity and is used in the study of cosmology and gravitational physics. It helps to determine the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3. How is the Weak Energy Condition different from the Strong Energy Condition?

The Strong Energy Condition is a stricter version of the Weak Energy Condition, stating that the sum of the energy density and the pressure at any point in space must be non-negative. This means that not only must the energy density be non-negative, but the pressure must also be non-negative. The Weak Energy Condition, on the other hand, only applies to the energy density.

4. Are there any known violations of the Weak Energy Condition?

There are some theoretical scenarios, such as the Casimir effect, where the energy density at a point can become negative. However, these violations are often seen as temporary and do not have a significant impact on the overall validity of the Weak Energy Condition.

5. How does the Weak Energy Condition relate to the expansion of the universe?

The Weak Energy Condition is related to the expansion of the universe through the concept of dark energy. Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. The Weak Energy Condition helps to constrain the properties and behavior of dark energy.