Question regarding introductory circuit analysis

In summary: You can then apply 3 equations in 3 unknowns (I1, I2, I3) and solve for each.In summary, this conversation is about a problem with a circuit and the use of branch-current analysis to find the magnitude and direction of the current through each resistor. The person asking for help has been struggling with the problem and has tried using Kirchhoff's current law, but has been unsuccessful. Other people in the conversation suggest using KVL or the superposition theorem to solve the problem. The person trying to solve the problem updates with their current attempt at the solution and asks for clarification on the numbering of the currents and which side of a resistor should be positive. The conversation concludes with someone offering a solution using
Mohdoo
Hello! I have been working on this problem for around 1.5 hours, and decided I simply need help.

Homework Statement

"Using branch-current analysis, find the magnitude and direction of the current through each resistor for the network.
rP0RL.jpg

Homework Equations

I tried using kirchhoffs current law? :D

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using various attempts at the loop, first trying using the 10V voltage source as positive, then minus, then same with the 12v, but I just can't seem to get it quite right.

When I eventually did (-10 -4I1(3.06) +3I2(3.25)+12), I got -.4900. Am I perhaps supposed to convert these Voltage sources to current sources? I am totally lost here.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are doing branch currents, or mesh analysis, You're using KVL to solve the system not KCL.

The most common mistake most students make is use the wrong convention. You need perform KVL in a clockwise fashion (it helps to label your mesh currents accordingly). Moreover, you label the voltages across each resistor as if the current was flowing in a counter clockwise fashion. You leave the voltage sources alone.

Using this convention you should get the correct result.

Mohdoo said:
Hello! I have been working on this problem for around 1.5 hours, and decided I simply need help.

Homework Statement

"Using branch-current analysis, find the magnitude and direction of the current through each resistor for the network.
rP0RL.jpg

Homework Equations

I tried using kirchhoffs current law? :D

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using various attempts at the loop, first trying using the 10V voltage source as positive, then minus, then same with the 12v, but I just can't seem to get it quite right.

When I eventually did (-10 -4I1(3.06) +3I2(3.25)+12), I got -.4900. Am I perhaps supposed to convert these Voltage sources to current sources? I am totally lost here.

Thanks!

When the problem says use "branch current analysis", that suggests the KCL to me. I could be wrong, though.

I totally did not follow your attempt at an equation. To use the KCL, you need to label the top node V1 (or whatever), and write an equation that shows the sum of all currents out of that top node equals zero. If there is a voltage source in a branch, that will add to or subtract from the current through the associated resistor.

Can you please show us the KCL equation for the top node?

berkeman said:
When the problem says use "branch current analysis", that suggests the KCL to me. I could be wrong, though.

I totally did not follow your attempt at an equation. To use the KCL, you need to label the top node V1 (or whatever), and write an equation that shows the sum of all currents out of that top node equals zero. If there is a voltage source in a branch, that will add to or subtract from the current through the associated resistor.

Can you please show us the KCL equation for the top node?

That's the thing, that statement and his equations imply mesh current analysis which needs KVL. What he does is imagine a single current in one branch and applies KVL to each component in a single loop and write the voltage of that component in terms of the branch current.

Hence the use of I1 and I2 in his equation. But as you said the equation is very incorrect and needs revising.

You could try using the Superposition theorem by first considering one source , then the other, separately, then adding or subtracting the currents as needed.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It is beginning to make more sense to me :)

What I now have is:

-10v+(4ohms)I1+(3ohms)I3-12v=0
12v-(3ohms)I3)-(12ohms)I2=0
Then I1+I2=I3

My question is, are my current numberings right? Is it that the left branch adds with the far right branch to make the middle branch? Or is it that it is left+middle=right? Oy!

Thanks again for the replies! :)

EDIT: I am also pretty confused as to which side of R3 is positive and which is minus :( Help?

EDIT again: Since my first equation didn't work, I tried having the right branch be I1 being the left branch, I2 being the middle, and I3 being the right.

I got:

4I1+3I2+0=22
0--3I2-12I3=-12
I1+I2-I3=0

Yet I still get a wrong answer *sigh*

Can anyone possibly give me a few hints as to how I am supposed to set up my formulas? I am simply out of ideas... :( By the way, the book tells me to use third-order determinants, if that makes any difference :(

The book is telling me: "IR1 = 3.06A, IR2=3.25 and IR3=0.19A". But my teacher posted the answers as well, and she said it was "IR1 =I1 = 3.06 A, IR2 = I2 = 0.19 A
IR3 =I3 = 3.25 A"

Last edited:
Hi Mohdoo,
I wrote a full solution a few days ago and posted it, but this was deleted as it broke the PF homework policy, which is fair enough I suppose.

The method I used was node-datum analysis. I have a feeling there are a multitude of different names for the same forms of analysis. This one uses KCL to get the solution.

You identify each node in the circuit. As I understand so far a node is any point on the circuit where the current and voltage will be the same. Treating wires as ideal (zero resistance) this will mean all wires that touch each other directly form a node.

Label each node A, B, C, D etc.
Write down the voltage at each node, Ie, Va = 10V, Vb = 0V, etc. If unknown, leave unknown. Realize that at a grounding point, the voltage is zero. The voltages of the nodes on either side of a voltage source / sink will have a difference equal to the voltage level of that source / sink. Ie, in your question, the node on the bottom will have a voltage of 0V (grounded), while the node directly above the 10V (but below the 4ohm resistor) will have a voltage of -10V.

Do KCL at each node.
Current In = Current Out
Realize that as V=IR, I = V/R. The voltage drop across each component, divided by the resistance of that component, will equal the current passing through it. Va - Vb = difference in voltage between nodes Va and Vb.
You'll get an equation at each node like (Va - Vb)/Rc + (Vc - Vb)/Rc + (Vd - Vb)/Vd = 0.
You'll have to make assumptions about current direction and whether a voltage source is a source or a sink. If your current comes out negative, that means you've assumed the wrong direction, so you just swap it over at the end.
Hope that's clear.
Also I did get the same results your teacher posted.

The question said use branch current analysis.

Mark the junction at the top of the 3 ohm resistor as V.
Going away from this along the top rail, mark I1 going left and I2 going right.

Now, using branch current analysis, what is the current in the 3 ohm resistor?
Mark it on the diagram.

Now, there are 3 vertical paths and they all add up to V volts relative to the bottom rail.

So, all these things that add up to V must equal each other?
You don't have to find V, so there are only two unknowns here, I1 and I2.

When you solve the equations, put the values in the original equations and they should all equal the same V. I have my answers, so I can compare them with you if you post yours first. The book answers are rounded.

Last edited:
Mohdoo said:
Thanks for the replies everyone! It is beginning to make more sense to me :)

What I now have is:

-10v+(4ohms)I1+(3ohms)I3-12v=0
12v-(3ohms)I3)-(12ohms)I2=0
Then I1+I2=I3

[...]

EDIT: I am also pretty confused as to which side of R3 is positive and which is minus :( Help?

EDIT again: Since my first equation didn't work, I tried having the right branch be I1 being the left branch, I2 being the middle, and I3 being the right.

I got:

4I1+3I2+0=22
0--3I2-12I3=-12
I1+I2-I3=0

Yet I still get a wrong answer *sigh*

Can anyone possibly give me a few hints as to how I am supposed to set up my formulas?

Hi again Mohdoo, reading your first set of equations, it seems you have used the exact opposite convention as I have stated in post 2.

Again,
The convention these books use for labeling is that you label your resistors in such a way that current flows counter clock wise. However, you use KVL in a clock wise manner.

Let the branch current on the left be [tex] I_{M1} [/tex] and the one on the right be [tex] I_{M2} [/tex]

So hint #1 your first equation look like [tex] 10V + 4(I_{M1}) + 3(I_{M1} - I_{M2}) + 12V =0 [/tex]

Correct labeling should be apparent from this.

1. What is introductory circuit analysis?

Introductory circuit analysis is the study and analysis of electrical circuits in their simplest form. It involves understanding the basic components of a circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, and how they interact with each other to produce electrical currents and voltages.

2. Why is introductory circuit analysis important?

Introductory circuit analysis is important because it provides the foundation for understanding more complex circuits and systems. It allows scientists and engineers to design, analyze, and troubleshoot electronic devices and systems, such as computers, smartphones, and power grids.

3. What are the key concepts in introductory circuit analysis?

Some key concepts in introductory circuit analysis include Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, circuit analysis techniques such as nodal and mesh analysis, and the concept of equivalent circuits. These concepts are used to analyze the behavior of circuits and predict their performance.

4. What are some applications of introductory circuit analysis?

Introductory circuit analysis is used in a wide range of applications, including electronics, telecommunications, power systems, and control systems. It is essential for designing and optimizing circuits and systems for various purposes, such as signal processing, power distribution, and communication.

5. How can I get started with introductory circuit analysis?

To get started with introductory circuit analysis, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of algebra and physics. There are also many online resources, textbooks, and courses available that cover the fundamental concepts and techniques of circuit analysis. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and experimenting with simple circuits to gain hands-on experience.