Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding sound and Earth's rotation

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    Hi guys, I am new to the forum and I have what is probably a simple question for most of you.
    Unfortunately a great deal of people I know have suddenly taken up the idea of a "Flat Earth", and they consistently post things that try to contest that a flat earth is a far more logical idea than a round one. Now that aside someone recently posted this

"If the Earth is spinning eastwards at 1000mph, and the speed of sound is 768mph, does our speech/hearing change depending on which direction we are facing? Lol!"

Now I assume that this may not exactly be the case due to inertia? (Please correct me if I am wrong) but is there a full explanation as to why this is/isn't true, I tried searching for materials but everything I can find only relates to flight times and Earth's rotation.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2
    Simple: the atmosphere spins with the earth.

4. Jul 28, 2015 #3
  5. Jul 28, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF, Joe.

That answers your question, and we do not debunk crackpot ideas like Flat Earth here at the PF (that's in the Rules link at the top of the page under Info). Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook