Question regarding the elevator acceleration resultant force

In summary, the resultant force acting on a man in an elevator accelerating upwards is an upward force, making him feel heavier. This is because he feels the contact force, or normal force, acting on him, not his own weight. In a still elevator, he would feel his weight, but if he were to jump from a building, he would feel weightless due to no contact force at his feet. It's important to not confuse weight with normal forces.
Question regarding the "elevator" acceleration resultant force

Homework Statement

In the "elevator" case, when a man is standing on a weighing scale, and the elevator accelerate upwards, the resultant force acting on the man will be UPWARD force, and the man is feeling "HEAVIER". So here is my question. Since the resultant force acting on the man is UPWARD force, isn't the man suppose to feel "LIGHTER", since there is a UPWARD force "supporting" him. If I got the whole concept wrong, please explain to me with the correct concept, thanks in advance .

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

been thinking for 2 hours and I just can't understand

Physics news on Phys.org

i don't get the question

The man 'feels' the contact force acting upward on him, the normal force. He does not 'feel' his own weight. If he was standing in a still elevator, he would feel the contact force acting on him, which is his weight in this case. If he jumped from a building, there would be no contact force at his feet, so even though he still has weight , he wouldn't feel any force acting on him, so that would make him feel very light, feeling like he had no weight at all, in a state of so called 'weightlessness", even though he always has weight. Don't confuse weight with normal forces.

PhanthomJay said:
The man 'feels' the contact force acting upward on him, the normal force. He does not 'feel' his own weight. If he was standing in a still elevator, he would feel the contact force acting on him, which is his weight in this case. If he jumped from a building, there would be no contact force at his feet, so even though he still has weight , he wouldn't feel any force acting on him, so that would make him feel very light, feeling like he had no weight at all, in a state of so called 'weightlessness", even though he always has weight. Don't confuse weight with normal forces.

Thank you very much dude! this clear things up, thank you very much :)

it.I can explain the concept of the resultant force acting on a person in an elevator during acceleration. The resultant force is the net force acting on an object, which is the sum of all the individual forces acting on that object. In this case, the person standing on the weighing scale in the elevator experiences two forces: their weight pulling them downwards and the normal force from the floor pushing them upwards.

When the elevator accelerates upwards, the normal force from the floor increases to match the weight of the person, resulting in a larger resultant force acting on the person. This increased resultant force is what makes the person feel "heavier" as they are being pushed onto the weighing scale with a greater force.

To answer your question, the person does not feel "lighter" despite the upward force supporting them because the resultant force is still greater than their weight. In order for them to feel "lighter", the resultant force would need to be less than their weight, which would happen if the elevator was accelerating downwards.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the concept for you. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to Question regarding the elevator acceleration resultant force

What is the equation for calculating the resultant force in an elevator?

The equation for calculating the resultant force in an elevator is F=ma, where F is the resultant force, m is the mass of the elevator and its occupants, and a is the acceleration of the elevator.

Why is the resultant force important in elevator acceleration?

The resultant force is important in elevator acceleration because it determines the direction and magnitude of the acceleration. If the resultant force is greater than zero, the elevator will accelerate upwards. If the resultant force is less than zero, the elevator will accelerate downwards.

What factors affect the resultant force in an elevator?

The resultant force in an elevator is affected by the mass of the elevator and its occupants, the acceleration of the elevator, and the force of gravity. The direction and magnitude of the force of gravity will also affect the resultant force.

How does the resultant force change during an elevator ride?

The resultant force changes during an elevator ride as the elevator accelerates, decelerates, and changes direction. When the elevator is stationary, the resultant force is equal to the force of gravity. As the elevator accelerates, the resultant force increases. When the elevator reaches a constant velocity, the resultant force is zero. As the elevator decelerates, the resultant force decreases until it reaches the force of gravity again.

How can we use the resultant force to improve elevator safety?

The resultant force can be used to improve elevator safety by ensuring that the force does not exceed the maximum safe limit for the elevator and its components. Engineers can use the resultant force equation to design elevators that can safely accelerate and decelerate with the given mass and acceleration. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to identify any potential issues with the resultant force in an elevator.