No problem, glad I could help!

• B
  • Thread starter Dexter Neutron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, every moving object has an associated wave, and for an electron moving with speed v, its wavelength can be calculated using ##\lambda = \frac{h}{mv}##. This frequency represents an oscillation, specifically in the quantum fermionic field, which is associated with every particle according to quantum field theory. The field is not the same as the electrostatic or electromagnetic field, but rather a field of which the particle is a quanta of energy. The oscillation occurs when the electron is given kinetic energy, and it is an approximation of Quantum Field theory to think of it as an infinite number of oscillators.
Dexter Neutron
Every moving object has a wave associated with it. If a electron is moving with a speed v we can use ##\lambda = \frac{h}{mv}## to calculate the wavelength of the associated wave and thus the frequency can be calculated. This frequency denotes some kind of oscillation. So what is oscillating here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The "electron field" is oscillating. I am not talking about the electrostatic field produced by the electron due to its charge or the electromagnetic field due to the movement of electron, but about the quantum fermionic field of which electron is a quantum of energy. According to quantum field theory every particle has an associated field of which the particle is a quanta of energy of that field.

Delta² said:
The "electron field" is oscillating. I am not talking about the electrostatic field produced by the electron due to its charge or the electromagnetic field due to the movement of electron, but about the quantum fermionic field of which electron is a quantum of energy. According to quantum field theory every particle has an associated field of which the particle is a quanta of energy of that field.
Are you talking about excitation of field?
i.e. If the "Electron Field" is excited at a particular position an electron is created?
Does the field actually moves or just the magnitude changes? What is the unit of its magnitude?
If electron is stationary the field will not oscillate and if it is given some kinetic energy the field oscillates.Where this oscillation occurs?How it occurs?

Sorry I am not particularly good with quantum field theory. Maybe my first post was not correct to "mix" the deBroglie wave with a wave in the fermionic field.

Delta² said:
Sorry I am not particularly good with quantum field theory. Maybe my first post was not correct to "mix" the deBroglie wave with a wave in the fermionic field.
Well,I agree with you. I think you are right to some extent, until someone contradicts us.
Thanks for your help.
Waiting for more help from someone.

Dexter Neutron said:
Every moving object has a wave associated with it.

That's false.

Its a left over from the outdated ideas of early quantum theory that was consigned to the dustbin of history during 1925/1926, but most certainly by 1926 when Dirac came up with his transformation theory that pretty much goes by the name of QM today:
http://www.lajpe.org/may08/09_Carlos_Madrid.pdf

Here is a much much better way of looking at QM:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

Standard QM is an approximation to Quantum Field theory which in a certain, loose sense, is said to be an infinite number of oscillators:
http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...field-an-infinite-set-of-harmonic-oscillators

But as explained above only in a loose and imprecise sense.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one place to another. It can be described as a repeating pattern of motion or oscillation.

2. What are the types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum.

3. How are waves measured?

Waves are measured by their wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a wave, frequency is the number of waves that pass a point in a certain amount of time, and amplitude is the height of a wave.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

There is an inverse relationship between wavelength and frequency. This means that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases, and vice versa.

5. How do waves behave?

Waves behave in different ways depending on their properties and the medium they are travelling through. They can be reflected, refracted, diffracted, and absorbed. They also follow the principle of superposition, which states that when two or more waves meet, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves.