Question : Thermal Equilibrium in 3 substances

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of thermal equilibrium in three substances and how to calculate the final temperature when they are mixed. The question was formed by the individual, but their teacher refused to show them calculations as it was deemed irrelevant to the exam. The conversation also mentions the heat capacity of water and assumptions made for the calculation. Finally, the conversation concludes with a request for additional examples of thermal equilibrium in three substances with accompanying calculations. The key to solving this problem is to define the final temperature and write expressions for the change in energy for each mass of water, and then consider how these energy changes are related.
Rnck
Note : My syllabus only go until thermal equilibrium in 2 objects , i am wondering what will happen and how to calculate if there are 3 substances in contact. So i formed a question on my own hoping it can be solved.

*my teach refused to show me calculations saying it is unrelevant to exam.

given 3 beakers of water at room temperature and pressure are to mixed into one beaker
each beaker labelled A : has 0.5kg mass at 30°C
B : has 0.3kg mass at 40°C
C : has 0.2kg mass at 20°C

let heat capacity of water = 4.2 joule/gram °C

assume heat transfer only occurs among the water with no heat loss to surroundings.
what is the temperature of the water when it reaches thermal equilibrium?

if there are other examples of thermal equilibrium in 3 substances with shown calculations from other websites , mind to post here one? i searched but found nothing , therefore i post a question here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ideas and concepts are the same as for two fluids; i think where you may be having trouble is in the mathematics and formulation of the problem?

Start by defining T to be the final temperature of the mixture. You can then write expressions for the change in energy of each mass of water. For example, the 0.5kg mass has the following expression:

[tex]\Delta H_A=0.5\times 4200\times (T-30)[/tex]

You can do this for each mass of water. Then have a think about how each of these energy changes should be related.

Question 1: What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium is a state where there is no net transfer of heat between two or more substances. This means that the temperatures of the substances are equal and there is a balance in the amount of heat energy being exchanged.

Question 2: How do you determine thermal equilibrium in 3 substances?

To determine thermal equilibrium in 3 substances, you can use a thermometer to measure the temperatures of each substance. If the temperatures are equal, then the substances are in thermal equilibrium. If there is a difference in temperature, then heat will flow from the warmer substance to the cooler substance until thermal equilibrium is achieved.

Question 3: What factors affect thermal equilibrium?

The factors that affect thermal equilibrium include the temperature difference between substances, the thermal conductivity of the substances, and the surface area of the substances that are in contact with each other.

Question 4: What happens to the temperature of a substance during thermal equilibrium?

During thermal equilibrium, the temperature of a substance remains constant. This is because there is a balance in the amount of heat energy being exchanged between the substances, resulting in no net change in temperature.

Question 5: How is thermal equilibrium important in everyday life?

Thermal equilibrium is important in everyday life because it allows for the distribution of heat energy to maintain a constant temperature in our surroundings. This is essential for our comfort and for various processes such as cooking, heating, and cooling. It is also important in industries where precise temperature control is necessary for production processes.