Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about a Piezo igniter

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    Questions about a Piezo igniter......

About how many times can one strike a piezo igniter before it wears out, or before it's electrical output is severely reduced?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Questions about a Piezo igniter......

hi there

if the constant deformation of the quartz crystal as its struck doesnt physically damage the crystal ... ie crack/shatter it, then I have no reason to believe that it would ever fail to produce a spark.
    it is interesting to note tho (wiki...) that piezo igniters become unreliable at altitude...significantly so at >8000ft.

here's a page where a guy set up a test jig to test a piezo igniter. firing it 25 times a minute, at 111,000 strikes it was the mechanics that gave up, not the quartz crystal!!!!
    http://www.gswagner.com/piezo/piezo.html

cheers
    Dave

4. Nov 9, 2011 #3

Also, does a piezo lighter/igniter have a distinct 'positive' and 'negative' terminals, or does it create and rapid 'alternating current' (a strong negative voltage followed by an equally strong positive voltage)?

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I cant answer that, maybe one of the guru's can. I havent personally seen anything in print.

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook