Questions about Grover's algorithm for quantum searches

In summary, the conversation discussed the implementation of Grover's algorithm for quantum search. It was clarified that while on the logical level, k physical copies of the gate producing the oracle are required, on the physical level, the gates are virtual and can be generated on the fly using control signals. The conversation also touched on the possibility of reusing a single physical device to act as a gate multiple times in a circuit. A reference for further reading on the physical realization of quantum computers was also provided.
LLSM
Hi! I have studied Grover's algorithm for quantum search and I just want to
make sure that I understood it correctly: to make a number k of calls to the
oracle one needs to have k physical copies of the gate producing the oracle. In
quantum circuits there are no loops, hence a physical gate cannot be "reused"
in the same circuit. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes and no. What is "physical" in an actual physical quantum computer are typically the qubits, but not the gates. The gates are more virtual and most often only generated on the fly by suitable control signals. So on the logical circuit level, the oracle must be copied k times. But on the actual physical level, it is just a sequence in time of control signals. No physical copy of gates is required.

Thank you for the answer which I find very helpful (I was unaware of how gates are actually implemented). I gather that somehow (although may be not in a literal sense) there are physical devices that can be configured (even on the fly) to act as different gates as needed. Is there a reference with more details?

Nevertheless, I still want to understand one point. Assuming that I have a single physical device which is a realization of a gate (this is given and I do need to know how it acts). Can I construct a circuit in which the gate appears twice? Somehow using the device once, storing the result, and reusing the device with input from another part of the circuit, or is this impossible even in principle in quantum computation?

Gates are not devices, they are manipulations of the qubits. Depending on the actual qubits, they can be for example implemented by laser pulses or by varying electric and magnetic fields.

Last edited:
LLSM said:
I gather that somehow (although may be not in a literal sense) there are physical devices that can be configured (even on the fly) to act as different gates as needed. Is there a reference with more details?
Chapter 7: Quantum Computers: Physical Realization from Quantum Computation and Quantum Information by Michael Nielsen and Isaac Chuang is still a good starting point.

LLSM said:
Nevertheless, I still want to understand one point. Assuming that I have a single physical device which is a realization of a gate (this is given and I do need to know how it acts). Can I construct a circuit in which the gate appears twice?
That depends on your definition of "construct" and "circuit". On the "physical" level, you would in principle be able to reuse a "single physical device" multiple times, such that on the logical level, the corresponding circuit would contain multiple copies of that device.

LLSM said:
Somehow using the device once, storing the result, and reusing the device with input from another part of the circuit, or is this impossible even in principle in quantum computation?
No, this is not impossible, at least not in principle.

Thank you for your explanations. The whole subject is much more clear to me now.

Likes gentzen

What is Grover's algorithm for quantum searches?

Grover's algorithm is a quantum algorithm that can be used to search an unsorted database with N entries in O(√N) time, which is significantly faster than the O(N) time required by classical algorithms.

How does Grover's algorithm work?

Grover's algorithm uses a process called quantum amplitude amplification to amplify the amplitude of the desired solution, while reducing the amplitude of all other solutions. This is achieved by using a combination of quantum gates and measurements.

What are the applications of Grover's algorithm?

Grover's algorithm has potential applications in fields such as cryptography, data mining, and optimization. It can also be used to solve NP-complete problems, which are difficult for classical computers to solve efficiently.

What are the limitations of Grover's algorithm?

Grover's algorithm is only useful for searching unsorted databases, and it cannot be used for problems that require real-time updates or modifications to the database. It also requires a large number of qubits, which can be a challenge to implement in practical quantum computers.

How does Grover's algorithm compare to other quantum algorithms?

Grover's algorithm is one of the most well-known and widely used quantum algorithms, but it is not the only one. Other quantum algorithms, such as Shor's algorithm and quantum simulation algorithms, have their own unique applications and advantages. It is important to choose the most suitable algorithm for a specific problem.