How Does Inductor Behavior Affect Resultant Current and Circuit Protection?

• Thread starter bolei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, inductance is a function of the physical characteristics of the inductor, just like capacitance is a function of the geometrical and physical characteristics of the capacitor.
bolei
Hi there, I am new to here, and I bring some questions here too, hope can be solved here~
(1)if one loop that essentially has a current by power supply, meanwhile it is experienced a induced current too, then what's the resultant current? add them or what?
(2)as you know, Inductance L = somesomething/I, does it depend on I, well, obviously yes if we judge from the formula, but one textbook said it doesn't depend on I, so just want to ensure this.
(3)an extra question...hehe...be patient please...
as we know, one function of inductor is that it can give a protection while the current suddenly changed, why?
Cheers guys!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi bolei and welcome to PF.

(1) Do you know the direction of the induced current?

(2) The inductance is a function of the physical characteristics, much like how capacitance is function of the geometrical and physical characteristics of the capacitor. That "somesomething/I"; people will misinterpret when you say I, as this is the symbol for current, in this case I take it you meant to say length of the solenoid?

(3) I believe when implemented to do this function, they are called chokes. You should read up on Lenz's law. This is partially related to (1).

Last edited:
sorry for the misinterpretation ranger, for question1, let's say they are running to different direction, for question 2,L = NA/I where N is the number of turns, A is the magnetic flux and I is the current.
Thx again!

Last edited:
[tex]L = \frac{NA}{i} =\frac{\lambda}{i}[/tex] here is called the self-inductance. Induced voltage across a N-turn coil is by Faraday's law:
[tex]v=\frac{d (NA)}{dt} = N\frac{dA}{dt}=N\frac{d}{dt}(\mathcal{P} N i) = N^2\mathcal{P} \frac{di}{dt}=L\frac{di}{dt}[/tex]
here [tex]\mathcal{P}[/tex] is the permeance of space occupied by the flux which just describes the magnetic properties of this space. in some text it is also called the "reluctance of a path for magnetic flux". This concept is usefull in Magnetic circuits (analogous with the electric circuit where there is V=IR) from above you can see that
[tex]L=\frac{N^2}{\mathcal{P}}[/tex]

bolei said:
sorry for the misinterpretation ranger, for question1, let's say they are running to different direction, for question 2,L = NA/I where N is the number of turns, A is the magnetic flux and I is the current.
Thx again!

(1) I don't like the way you are assuming a different current direction. This shows that you have not quite grasped the concepts of how an inductor really works; I have provided a link that may help you. However, generally speaking, if we have a component and we have opposite directional currents flowing through it, they will subtract. But with regards to your inductor question, read this:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_3/2.html

(2) http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/indsol.html#c1
Its purely geometric and physical.

Related to How Does Inductor Behavior Affect Resultant Current and Circuit Protection?

What is induction and how does it work?

Induction is a method of reasoning in which a conclusion is drawn from a set of observations or evidence. It involves making a generalization based on specific instances and is commonly used in scientific experiments and research.

What is the difference between deductive and inductive reasoning?

Deductive reasoning involves starting with a general principle or theory and applying it to specific cases to reach a logical conclusion. Inductive reasoning, on the other hand, involves starting with specific observations and using them to make a generalization or prediction.

What are some examples of inductive reasoning?

Examples of inductive reasoning include predicting the outcome of an experiment based on previous results, making conclusions about a population based on a sample, and forming a hypothesis based on observations.

What are the strengths and limitations of inductive reasoning?

The strength of inductive reasoning lies in its ability to generate new ideas and hypotheses based on observations. However, it is limited by the fact that the conclusions drawn may not always be accurate or applicable to all cases.

How can we ensure the validity and reliability of inductive reasoning?

To ensure the validity of inductive reasoning, it is important to use a large and representative sample, carefully document and analyze the observations, and consider alternative explanations. Replication of the study by other researchers can also help establish the reliability of the conclusions drawn.