Questions about Isotropy in Our Universe and Implications

• I
  • Thread starter Buzz Bloom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: There is no evidence of large-scale anisotropy that differs from basic inflationary expectations. Therefore there are no apparent observable effects for any sort of global topology, indicating that any nontrivial global topology must have observational features much larger than our observable universe.In summary, the angular circle size which is approximately in all directions statistically the same with respect to its CBR temperature variation contents (after an adjustment for the veocity of the Earth in some specific direction) is sufficient evidence surporting the assumption that our universe is isotropic.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Do the average observable charateristics, within a determined angular area of the CBR, demonstrate approximate isotropy of our universe?
What does this imply about possible topological shapes for our universe?i
That is, is there a angular circle size which is approximately in all directions statistically the same with respect to its CBR temperature variation contents (after an adjustment for the veocity of the Earth in some specific direction)?

If the answer to the above question is "Yes", is this result sufficient evidence surporting the assumption that our universe is isotropic?

If this is correct, is it adequate evidence that our universe cannot have a toroidal shape? The argument that comes to mind is that a hyper-torus can be represented as a cube with opposite faces identified. It has a continuous translation symmetry, but no continuous rotation symmetry. It is not isotropic becasue it is possible to have straight lines from a chosen origin that returns to itself with different angles relative the six parallel surfaces, AND such different paths will NOT be the same length.

Space news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
angular circle size

What do you mean by "angular circle size"?

I apologize for an inappropriate vocabulary. I visualize a circle in space perpendicular to my line of sight. By "angle size" I meant the "solid angle" corresponding to a circle on the surface of a sphere with its size described in terms of square degrees (SD) or square minutes (SM) or square seconds (SS). 1 SD = 3600 SM. 1 SM = 3600 SS. Another unit is the Steradian based on square radians. There are 4π Steradians on the entire sphere.

Buzz Bloom said:
I visualize a circle in space perpendicular to my line of sight.

It would be a 2-sphere, not a circle, as your further comments show. So basically, you are asking whether, after making an appropriate adjustment for the motion of the Earth, the temperature of the CMB is isotropic? The answer to that is yes, to about one part in 100,000.

PeterDonis said:
It would be a 2-sphere, not a circle

Hi Peter:

I am confused by your use of "2-sphere". As I understand the term, a 2-sphere is the 2D surface of a 3D sphere. What I was trying to describe is the solid angle of the 2D area of a circle on a 2-sphere in terms of the perspective of an observer at the center of the 2-sphere which corresponds to the total source of the CBR we on Earth observe.

Thank you very much for your "yes" answer to my first and second questions. I am still hoping someone will answer my question about whether or not this conclusion logically implies that our universe cannot have a torus topology.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
As I understand the term, a 2-sphere is the 2D surface of a 3D sphere.

That is one possible realization of a 2-sphere, but not the only one. Another is all possible directions that you can look from a given point in space. The set of all those directions also forms a 2-sphere.

Buzz Bloom said:
What I was trying to describe is the solid angle of the 2D area of a circle on a 2-sphere in terms of the perspective of an observer at the center of the 2-sphere which corresponds to the total source of the CBR we on Earth observe.

We observe CBR coming to us from all directions, so the "total source" is the distribution of observed properties of the CBR over a 2-sphere. Which is, as I said, isotropic to about one part in 100,000.

Buzz Bloom said:
Thank you very much for your "yes" answer to my first and second questions.

I only answered "yes" to the first question. The answer to your second question is "no". The CBR is not the only thing in the universe that we can see. In order to have sufficient evidence for isotropy we need to look at everything we can see, not just the CBR. It turns out that, as far as we can tell, everything else we can see is also isotropic, but not necessarily to the same accuracy as the CBR. But there's no way to know that just by looking at the CBR.

Buzz Bloom said:
I am still hoping someone will answer my question about whether or not this conclusion logically implies that our universe cannot have a torus topology.

The answer to this question is also "no". The kind of anisotropy you describe for a 3-torus topology is not necessarily inconsistent with everything we can observe up to now being isotropic. For the 3-torus anisotropy to show up in our observations, there would have to have been sufficient time for light to travel all the way around the universe in at least some directions. If the 3-torus is large enough, that would not be the case.

Likes Buzz Bloom
There's no evidence of large-scale anisotropy that differs from basic inflationary expectations. Therefore there are no apparent observable effects for any sort of global topology, indicating that any nontrivial global topology must have observational features much larger than our observable universe.

E.g., if our universe is a 3-sphere, the radius of curvature of said sphere must be much greater than the radius of the observable universe.

Likes timmdeeg and Buzz Bloom

1. What is isotropy in our universe?

Isotropy in our universe refers to the property of being uniform or the same in all directions. This means that no matter which direction we look in, the universe appears the same. It is an important concept in cosmology and is closely related to the idea of homogeneity.

2. How do we know that our universe is isotropic?

We know that our universe is isotropic through various observations and measurements, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale distribution of galaxies. These observations show that the universe is highly uniform and consistent in all directions.

3. What are the implications of isotropy in our universe?

The implications of isotropy in our universe are significant. It suggests that the universe has no preferred direction or orientation, which has important implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the structure of the universe. It also supports the idea of the cosmological principle, which states that the universe looks the same to all observers, regardless of their location.

4. Are there any exceptions to isotropy in our universe?

While our universe is generally considered to be isotropic, there are some exceptions. For example, the rotation of galaxies and the alignment of their axes suggest that there may be small departures from isotropy on a local scale. Additionally, some theories propose that the universe may not be isotropic at extremely large scales.

5. How does isotropy relate to the concept of the "edge" of the universe?

The concept of the "edge" of the universe is a common misconception. In an isotropic universe, there is no edge or boundary, as the universe is infinite and looks the same in all directions. The idea of an edge or boundary comes from our limited perspective and understanding of the vastness of the universe.