Questions about static electricity in automobiles

In summary: The dust and other tiny particles in the air cause an accumulation of static electricity. This accumulation can lead to dangerous conditions, specifically with gasoline tanker trucks. The trailers are equipped with static discharge strips which drag along the road, ensuring that any static electricity has a path to ground.
lostminty
So,

I don't want to disclose why I want to know about this because its to do with a friends invention and it would be unfair to publish too much information without his consent. That's my disclosure so to speak.

I'm interested in how static electricity is managed in vehicles. I remember cars used to do it a lot, and it seems to happen less now.

I believe it is generated essentially because the car is a common cathode (or anode i never remember convention) and that the fluid flowing over it knocks electrons off/on.

I'm hoping this static energy can be funnelled so to speak so in a particular spot it builds up to a significant level (enough to act as an electrostatic scrubber for waste streams).

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand it may be far more prudent to just generate the static charge as needed. But thought if there's some already there then it might be enough to be conservative with.

Static electricity accumulation can be a big problem, especially for gasoline tanker trucks. The tank trailers are equipped with static discharge strips which drag along the road, ensuring that any static electricity has a path to ground.

lostminty said:
So,

I don't want to disclose why I want to know about this because its to do with a friends invention and it would be unfair to publish too much information without his consent. That's my disclosure so to speak.

I'm interested in how static electricity is managed in vehicles. I remember cars used to do it a lot, and it seems to happen less now.

I believe it is generated essentially because the car is a common cathode (or anode i never remember convention) and that the fluid flowing over it knocks electrons off/on.

I'm hoping this static energy can be funnelled so to speak so in a particular spot it builds up to a significant level (enough to act as an electrostatic scrubber for waste streams).

lostminty said:
I understand it may be far more prudent to just generate the static charge as needed. But thought if there's some already there then it might be enough to be conservative with.

Are you thinking of the static buildup that you get with helicopter rotor blades? It takes a pretty fast airflow to cause static charge separation, I believe. Way more than you have with cars moving through the air.

Or are you thinking of the static charge that you can generate when you slide off of a car seat and out of the car? That's just normal static charge separation, and is mitigated with the material of the seats.

http://scienceblogs.com/sciencepunk/wp-content/blogs.dir/281/files/2012/04/i-b6cd32bbd97348b6c3300ac6b0e5a72f-koppetchells.jpg
i-b6cd32bbd97348b6c3300ac6b0e5a72f-koppetchells.jpg

SteamKing said:
Static electricity accumulation can be a big problem, especially for gasoline tanker trucks. The tank trailers are equipped with static discharge strips which drag along the road, ensuring that any static electricity has a path to ground.

Interesting. Is it from the airstream, or something else with the tires?

I think it comes from the air flow over the tank metal.

Gasoline is also a material which when flowing through the air can also generate dangerous amounts of static electricity. Piping systems to fill storage tanks with gasoline are usually designed so that the gasoline flows into the bottom of the tank without dropping through the air for any appreciable distance, to avoid a buildup of static electricity which might lead to an explosion.

Here is more information about the problem:
http://instrumentsignpost.wordpress.com/2010/11/26/static-earthing-protection-for-road-tankers/

As I understand it it's dust and other particulates in the air rather than air itself that causes static.

1. What is static electricity and how does it affect automobiles?

Static electricity is a build-up of electric charge on the surface of an object. In automobiles, static electricity can cause small sparks to occur when you touch the car's metal surface, which can be harmless but can also be dangerous if it occurs near flammable materials or in the presence of fuel vapors.

2. What causes static electricity to build up in automobiles?

Static electricity can build up in automobiles due to friction between different materials, such as when you rub against the car's seat or when the car moves against the air. It can also be caused by dry weather conditions or wearing clothing made of synthetic materials.

3. How can static electricity be discharged in automobiles?

There are a few ways to discharge static electricity in automobiles. One method is to touch a grounded metal object, such as the frame of the car, before touching any other metal surface. Another method is to use an anti-static spray or wipes on the car's surfaces. Additionally, keeping the car's tires properly inflated can also help reduce static electricity build-up.

4. Can static electricity in automobiles cause damage to electronic systems?

Yes, static electricity can potentially damage electronic systems in automobiles. In modern cars, there are a lot of sensitive electronic components that can be affected by even small sparks from static electricity. This is why it's important to properly discharge static electricity before working on or touching any electronic systems in a car.

5. What can be done to prevent static electricity build-up in automobiles?

To prevent static electricity build-up in automobiles, there are a few things you can do. First, make sure to regularly ground yourself by touching a grounded metal object before touching any metal surfaces in the car. Avoid wearing clothing made of synthetic materials and try to keep the car's interior humidity level at around 40-50%. You can also use anti-static products on the car's surfaces to reduce build-up.