Questions about the nature of the electromagnetic spectrum

In summary, it seems that the difference between the frequency and energy of two waves of electromagnetic radiation could be infinitely small, but that there might be some upper or lower constraints on the energy an EM wave could possess. There might be no widely agreed on law for a maximum temperature or a maximum energy of a photon, depending on whether time and space are continuous or discrete. The idea behind the thought experiment is that if the universe is larger than the observable universe, it would be very difficult, or impossible, to put an upper limit on the size of EM wavelengths because we could never observe what is beyond the cosmological horizon.
sonnybilly
Hi I had some questions about the nature of the spectrum of electromagnetic radiation, as to whether it is continuous or quantifiable, and whether it is infinite or finite. I haven't been able to find satisfactory answers so far and I'm very interested in the knowledge of this forum.

Can the difference between the frequency (and therefore the energy) of two different waves of electromagnetic radiation be infinitely small?

Can the frequency and energy of electromagnetic waves be measured in natural units of an indivisible quanta?

Are there any upper or lower constraints on the frequency or energy an electromagnetic wave can possess?

Do any of the answers to these questions change for an individual photon?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok since no experts in QM have replied I will have a go. Ultimately the answer may depend on what model of th euniverse you believe in.

sonnybilly said:
Can the difference between the frequency (and therefore the energy) of two different waves of electromagnetic radiation be infinitely small?
I believe so yes
Can the frequency and energy of electromagnetic waves be measured in natural units of an indivisible quanta?
If the above is true No, although the energy levels in an atom are discrete, the energy states available to a photon would be continuous.

Are there any upper or lower constraints on the frequency or energy an electromagnetic wave can possess?
I suppose the longest wavelength would be the size of the universe and the shortest would depend on the maximum energy available in the universe.
As far as I know there is no widely agreed on law for a maximum temperature or a maximum energy of a photon.

Last edited:
depends on whether time and space are continuous or discrete

Thanks for your answers. I've got some more questions...

Do Planck Time and Planck Length (and other Quantum Theories) imply a discreet quality to time and space that leads to quantifiable energy and hence a quantifiable frequency of electromagnetic radiation and a discreet EM spectrum?

Does the Planck Length put a limit on the smallest wavelength of EM radiation or Planck Time on the fastest frequency?

Does the Pauli exclusion principle, and its non-application to photons, imply that the energy states of photons can be continuous because they can share the same quantum states? Or is that unrelated?

If the universe is larger than the observable universe, would it be very difficult, or impossible, to put an upper limit on the size of EM wavelengths because we could never observe what it beyond the cosmological horizon and hence measure the size of the entire universe? Could EM wavelengths be longer than the observable universe without any falsifiable theory able to predict an upper limit on their size?

also look up 'second quantization'.

Thanks for the link.

The questions arose out of an idea / thought experiment I had, I think I might get further if I state the idea rather than try to understand bits and pieces of classical and quantum theories and how they relate to it.

I'll post it in a new thread titled: "Thought experiment: The 'perfect eye' (and a finite set of colours)"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1924946#post1924946

Last edited:

1. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation, which includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. How does the electromagnetic spectrum affect our daily lives?

The electromagnetic spectrum plays a crucial role in our daily lives as it allows for various forms of communication (radio, TV, internet), enables us to see and experience colors, and is used in medical imaging and treatments.

3. What is the difference between electromagnetic waves and electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic waves refer to the disturbances in the electromagnetic field that propagate through space, while electromagnetic radiation refers to the energy that is carried by these waves.

4. Can humans see the entire electromagnetic spectrum?

No, humans can only see a small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, known as visible light. This includes the colors of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet).

5. How does the energy of electromagnetic waves change as we move along the spectrum?

The energy of electromagnetic waves increases as we move from radio waves to gamma rays. This is because the frequency and energy of the waves are directly proportional, with higher frequencies having higher energy.