Questions about Waves, Circuits, and Magnetism

In summary: I don't see how that's homework. It's asking for explanations and understanding of concepts, not just an answer to a specific problem. And it's not a direct copy and paste of the conversation, as I've added my own explanations and clarifications.In summary, the conversation touches on various physics concepts such as waves, circuits, thermal physics, and electromagnetism. The forum member is seeking help in understanding these concepts, particularly in regards to the distances between resonances in waves, the behavior of circuits compared to water circuits, Kirchoff's Laws, the use of thermocouples in measuring temperature, the exclusion of macro kinetic and potential energy in internal energy, the definition of potential energy and its relation to boiling, and the concept
guinsooms
Hi all.

I am a student taking A levels, I was hoping the forumites here could help me answer some doubts that I have regarding the concepts above.

1) Waves

It was mentioned that the distances between resonances are half a wavelength.

For example, in a water tube with a sound source above the water, the first point of resonance is x. The next point of resonance is x + λ/2. How is this expression derived?

2) Circuits

Why there no potential drop when no current flows? Quantitatively this holds true, but how you understand it qualitatively?

3) Circuits

In the most simplified sense, how you do understand Kirchkoff's Laws of Circuits and what are its implications on the circuit equations?

4) Circuits

In a galvanometer circuit (one where a rod with resistance is used to measure the emf on an unknown source), why doesn't current flow between the primary and the secondary circuit when their potentials are similar?

5) Thermal Physics

How exactly do you use a thermocouple to measure temperature, and what will be its implications on this equation: [PLAIN]http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/assets/learn_its/alevel/physics/temperature-and-thermal-properties/introduction-to-temperature/eqn.jpg

6) Thermal Physics

Out of curiosity, why is the triple point of water 0.01 degrees celsius, and not 0.00?

7) Thermal Physics

For internal energy, why don't we include macro KE / PE? By the name, I can accept this, but are there any other analogies to help me understand this exclusion?

8) Thermal Physics

For potential energy, wikipedia defines it as energy stored in a body or in a system due to its position in a force field or due to its configuration.

For boiling, it was mentioned that energy has to be supplied to the system in order to raise the potential energy. I'm thinking that when the molecules are further away, they will have more tendency to attract each other, and hence potential energy will rise, similar to that of gravitational potential energy.

9) Electromagnetism

For motional EMI using a rod / solenoid, E = Blv. Why do you say that the rod / solenoid behaves like an emf source?

Had an early version of my questions, but got deleted because I was timed out >:(

Hope you could answer my questions and provide your take on the issues!

Thank you,
guinsooms

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for 2) and 3) i always like to think of electrical circuits as water circuits. In your mind replace all the wires with pipes, the current is the water, battery is a pump etc..

If the water is simply being pumped around a loop of pipe there are no external forces acting on it (the only real force is the friction of the water with the pipe walls, however the overall effect of this is negligible) so as long as the pump is running the water pressure will be constant everywhere in the pipe; the same holds for the voltage in a circuit.

Think of the voltage as the 'pushing power'; the force of the water traveling through the pipes.

3) is also easy to understand with water circuits. Imagine a large pipe branching into 2 smaller pipes (a t-intersection is easiest to think of) let's say in 1 second 5L of water flow from the large pipe into the junction. Kirchoffs law says what flows in must flow out, so the whole 5L of water must flow out through the 2 smaller pipes (the amount flowing in each will depend on the pipe size, if they are identical then 2.5L will flow out through each, i.e it will be evenly distributed. If one smaller pipe has a radius of 1cm and the other 2cm then the ratio of water in pipe one to that of pipe 2 will be 1:2 etc)

This is the same for electrical circuits, if 5V flows into a junction, 5V must flow out through the 2 wires. The amount of current that flows through each depends not on their size, but on their resistance.

Hope this helps a little bit

(1) It's not distances between 'resonances', but between successive nodes or between successive antinodes that is lambda/2. You are dealing with standing (stationary) waves, which you may need to look up in a textbook.

Standing waves can be regarded as the sum (learn your Principle of Superposition!) of displacements due to progressive waves of equal frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions. Suppose you are at an antinode (formed by constructive interference of the progressive waves). If you go a distance lambda/2 in either direction of travel, you are lambda/2 closer to one source and lambda/2 further from the other. So the path difference (You may need to look this up!) has changed by lambda, so you've got another point of constructive interference, i.e. another antinode.

Last edited:
guinsooms said:
9) Electromagnetism

For motional EMI using a rod / solenoid, E = Blv. Why do you say that the rod / solenoid behaves like an emf source?

As you push the rod through the B field, the free electrons in the rod move with it. These free electrons experience motor effect (left hand rule!) forces (Bqv) which urge them along the rod. If the rod is part of a complete circuit, the charges can flow, having work done on them by the motor effect forces. Emf = work done per unit charge on charges = BqvL/q. That's the physical picture of what's going on. (For simplicity I've assumed rod, rod's velocity and B are all mutually perpendicular.)

Last edited:
dude. This is homework. You should put your homework questions here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153"

...and include some attempt at a solution. The idea is that folks at PhysicsForums don't do you homework for you.

You can expect good help if you not just looking for a free lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
With respect, Phrak, I think we have a mixed bag here. Quite a few questions seem to be about bits of theory which need more explanation.

guinsooms said:
2) Circuits

Why there no potential drop when no current flows? Quantitatively this holds true, but how you understand it qualitatively?
Easier to think of it the other way round. No p.d. implies no electric field strength, so no force on free electrons, so no drift velocity, so no current. I've used various technical terms, which you may have to look up. [Free electrons need a 'forward' force to keep them drifting through the wire, to counteract resistive forces due to collisions.]

1. What are the different types of waves?

There are three main types of waves: mechanical waves, electromagnetic waves, and matter waves. Mechanical waves, such as sound waves, require a medium to travel through. Electromagnetic waves, like light waves, can travel through empty space. Matter waves, also known as quantum waves, are associated with particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How do waves transfer energy?

Waves transfer energy through a process called oscillation. This means that the particles or fields that make up the wave move back and forth in a repeating pattern. As they move, they transfer energy to the surrounding particles or fields, causing them to also oscillate and carry the energy forward.

3. What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a closed loop or path through which electricity can flow. It is made up of various components, such as wires, resistors, and switches, that work together to control the flow of electricity and perform a specific function.

4. How does magnetism work?

Magnetism is a force that is created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, in a substance. When the electrons in a material align in a certain way, they create a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then interact with other magnetic fields, causing objects to either attract or repel each other.

5. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits differ in the way that the electricity flows through them. In an AC circuit, the direction of the current changes periodically, while in a DC circuit, the current flows in one direction. AC is the type of electricity that is used in most homes and buildings, while DC is used in devices such as batteries and electronic circuits.