What Does exp Mean in Mathematical Expressions?

cryforhelp104
Homework Statement
What would "exp" in a question about approximating functions with Taylor Series mean?
Relevant Equations
exp(-ax^2) about the value x = 0 to second order in x
In my introductory modern physics class, I was asked to compute the Taylor Series for exp(-ax^2) about the value x = 0 to second order in x. I am unfamiliar with the what "exp" before the function means, despite having approximated functions with Taylor Series before. I think there was some gap in my previous math class. I'd appreciate a brief explanation (please don't work the problem, just explain the "exp" part)

Physics news on Phys.org
It means ##e^{-ax^2}##, the exponential function. With this specific argument, it is also known as a Gaussian function (a very useful function).

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR
cryforhelp104 said:
Homework Statement: What would "exp" in a question about approximating functions with Taylor Series mean?
Relevant Equations: exp(-ax^2) about the value x = 0 to second order in x

In my introductory modern physics class, I was asked to compute the Taylor Series for exp(-ax^2) about the value x = 0 to second order in x. I am unfamiliar with the what "exp" before the function means, despite having approximated functions with Taylor Series before. I think there was some gap in my previous math class. I'd appreciate a brief explanation (please don't work the problem, just explain the "exp" part)
Frabjous said:
It means ##e^{-ax^2}##, the exponential function. With this specific argument, it is also known as a gaussian function.
Welcome to PF, @cryforhelp104 -- Do you have what you need now to actually show some effort on this schoolwork problem of yours? :wink:

Likes Vanadium 50, MatinSAR and dlgoff
Thank you! So the question is to compute the Taylor Series for (e^(-ax^2)) about the value x = 0 to second order in x?

cryforhelp104 said:
Thank you! So the question is to compute the Taylor Series for (e^(-ax^2)) about the value x = 0 to second order in x?
Yes.

Likes MatinSAR
A Taylor series in powers of x (expanded about x = 0) is a Maclaurin series. The Maclaurin series for ##e^x## is one of the simplest infinite series, where ##e^x = 1 + \frac x 1 + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \dots##.
Just do a substitution to get the Maclaurin series for ##e^{-ax^2}## for as many terms as are required and you're done.

Last edited:

1. What is the importance of understanding what a question is asking?

Understanding what a question is asking is crucial for accurately interpreting and responding to the question. It ensures that you address the specific information or task that is being requested, leading to a more effective communication and problem-solving process.

2. How can I determine what a question is asking for?

To determine what a question is asking for, carefully read and analyze the wording of the question. Identify key terms, context clues, and any specific instructions provided. Consider the purpose of the question and what information or action is being sought.

3. What are some common pitfalls in misinterpreting what a question is asking?

Common pitfalls in misinterpreting what a question is asking include making assumptions, overlooking important details, and failing to address the specific requirements of the question. It is important to avoid jumping to conclusions and instead approach the question with a clear and analytical mindset.

4. How can I improve my ability to understand what a question is asking?

To improve your ability to understand what a question is asking, practice active reading and critical thinking skills. Break down the question into its component parts, identify the main objective or information being sought, and ask clarifying questions if needed. Seek feedback on your responses to questions to further refine your interpretation skills.

5. Are there different types of questions that require different approaches to understanding what is being asked?

Yes, there are different types of questions, such as factual questions, opinion-based questions, problem-solving questions, and open-ended questions. Each type may require a different approach to understanding what is being asked. It is important to tailor your interpretation strategy to the specific type of question being presented.