Calculating Acceleration and Fuel Consumption in Rocket Science

• Thread starter Meteo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involves a 20,000kg rocket with a rocket motor generating 3.0 *10^5N of thrust. The first question asks for the rocket's initial upward acceleration, which can be found using the formula F=MA. The second question involves finding the mass of fuel burned at an altitude of 5000m, which can be solved by drawing a free body diagram and summing the forces. The answer for the first question may be incorrect if weight is not subtracted from the thrust.
Meteo
A couple of questions in this problem.

A 20,000kg rocket has a rocket motor that generates [tex]3.0 *10^5N[/tex] of thrust.

1. What is the rocket's initial upward acceleration?

I used the formula F=MA and got 15 but apparently that's not the right answer. So I am stumped.

2. At an altitude of 5000m the rocket's acceleration has increased to 6.0m/s^2. What mass of fuel has it burned?

Im assuming I need the answer to the first part and that the 5000m is irrelevant.

[tex]300000=m_1*6[/tex] Then I should be able to get the answer [tex]20000-m_1[/tex]

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Meteo said:
A 20,000kg rocket has a rocket motor that generates [tex]3.0 *10^5N[/tex] of thrust.

1. What is the rocket's initial upward acceleration?

I used the formula F=MA and got 15 but apparently that's not the right answer. So I am stumped.

Thanks.

I think you are on the right track. With problems like these the first step is to draw a free body diagram then sum the forces - perhaps the problem states that the rocket is taking off from Earth? After summing the forces you should have the answer for the Total a. Let me know if that helps.

Merle

Ah ok I see why my answer is wrong. I needed to subtract weight from the thrust.

What is force?

Force is an external influence that can cause a change in the motion or shape of an object.

What are the different types of forces?

The different types of forces are contact forces, such as friction and air resistance, and non-contact forces, such as gravity and magnetism.

How is force measured?

Force is measured using a unit called Newtons (N) and is typically measured using a tool called a force meter or a spring scale.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

How does force affect an object's motion?

Force can either cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change its direction or speed. It can also cause an object to deform or break if the force is strong enough.