Questions for a Robotic Engineer

• Thread starter Scott_Lemon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: I can answer most of the questions.1. My name is Scott and I am a recent graduate of Carnegie Mellon University. I majored in Mechatronics Engineering, which is a blend of Mechanical, Computer, Systems, and Electrical engineering programs.2. I've been working with robots for about 2.5 years now, as head of a robotics team. We design and build robots for industrial and research applications.3. My current job is really interesting because it has changed a lot since I've been working with them. I would say that the job has become much more technologically advanced since I've been working with them.4. I absolutely enjoy working with robots, and I believe that they are really important for industrial and research applications.5
Scott_Lemon
I am looking for some information about becoming a robotic engineer, but all the people I have contacted have been too busy or not replied. This includes other forums. So could some people answer the questions below. It does not matter if all of them are not answer but in the end I am hoping to have them all answered.

Questions

1. What is your name? (Real please just so that others do not think I made up the results to these questions)

1. What is your current position involving robots? e.g. Head of a robotics team. (This is so I know who the information is coming from)

2. How long have you been working with robots?

3. What does the job currently involve?

4. Do you enjoy working in your current position with robots? Why/Why not?

5. Since you have been working with robots how has the job changed? e.g. More technologically advanced.

6. What did the job use to involve (before it changed)?

7. What education is required to end up working with robots?

8. What courses of study would need to be taken to end up working with robots?

9. Are there any specific skills needed to work with robots? If there are then what are they?

10. What career prospects are available for a robotic engineer?

11. Where globally would career opportunities as a robotic engineer be found? ie Are some countries more focused on robotic engineering than others?

12. What would be the average annual income of a person involved with robots?

A very large thanks to anyone who answers any of these questions.
Scott Lemon

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm no expert on this subject, but I believe that the Nipponese are the best robot designers. Perhaps you should take a trip to Tokyo?

I am nowhere close to being an engineer, but I am just starting an undergrad program known as "Mechatronics Engineering" at the University of Waterloo, Canada. It's a blend of Mechanical, Computer, Systems and Electrical programs...pretty much "Robotics Engineering". As well, I recall Carnegie Mellon U in the States having a Robotics Ph.D program...perhaps one of these would provide a direction for you to follow...

7. What education is required to end up working with robots?

robotics is about 30% electronic engineering, 30% mechanical engineering, 30% computer science/engineering, and 10% various disciplines including language technology, designing, and others.

11. Where globally would career opportunities as a robotic engineer be found? ie Are some countries more focused on robotic engineering than others?

Japan, U.S., and Germany

12. What would be the average annual income of a person involved with robots?

average: 100k
starting income is usually around 70k
if you become an expert in the field, you can easily get 120k

btw I'm studying robotics at Carnegie Mellon university.

1. What is a robotic engineer?

A robotic engineer is a scientist who designs, builds, and programs robots. They use their knowledge of mechanical engineering, computer science, and electrical engineering to create functional and efficient robots for various industries.

2. What skills are required to become a robotic engineer?

To become a robotic engineer, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They should also have excellent problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and knowledge of programming languages and software such as CAD and MATLAB.

3. What industries do robotic engineers work in?

Robotic engineers can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, aerospace, and defense. They can also work in research and development laboratories, universities, and government agencies.

4. What is the role of a robotic engineer in the development of artificial intelligence?

Robotic engineers play a crucial role in the development of artificial intelligence (AI). They design and program robots to have the ability to learn, adapt, and make decisions based on data and algorithms. This allows robots to perform complex tasks and interact with their environment autonomously.

5. What are some current challenges facing robotic engineers?

Some current challenges facing robotic engineers include making robots more affordable and accessible, improving their ability to work collaboratively with humans, and ensuring their safety and ethical use. Additionally, advancements in AI and machine learning continue to push the boundaries of what robots can do, creating new challenges and opportunities for robotic engineers.