Questions for past physics undergrad researchers

In summary: Most of the time, they are just doing grunt work and are not really given the opportunity to do anything more than that.
fysika
Hello PF,

I'm trying to get my prospects for REU and other research opportunities figured out, and when I might apply for them. Through my university's honors program, I am already guaranteed at least one research opportunity. That is, however, further down the line in my studies.

My questions are, at what point in your academic career did you start applying and doing research? What classes had you taken at the time, and which of those came in handy the most?; I know it will differ in each area, so please state that as well.

Thank you,

CT

Physics news on Phys.org
I did research the summer after my freshman year, and then throughout sophomore year and the summer after sophomore year. I'm a rising junior. Most people I know haven't done as much research though.

Honestly, the most useful class was programming...

I got a job on a project about quantum dots between my third and fourth year of undergrad and it worked out quite well for me. I'm not sure you need to pounce on any opportunity you can, as early as you can. In some cases that will help, I suppose, but you have to be aware of other things that you're potentially sacrificing - such as a higher paying job, or job where you might develop some marketable skills for when you eventually enter the workforce.

Generally speaking, when professors hire undergraduates they aren't looking for someone to lead a research project. While it's great if they can, and perhaps in some rare cases they do, most of the time, they are really just looking for someone to help with the more mundane work and are willing to offer a little extra time to teach you about what they're doing in addition to pay.

I started research my sophomore year at my home school, and did an REU after my sophomore year. Probably the most useful classes I had taken at that point were Calc 3 and ODE, and some physics helped. I didn't take a class in programming, but I had worked on it on my own which was very helpful. The research areas have been computational biology and fluid flows.

Most of the students at the college I worked at did research 2 or 3 summers during undergrad. The first summer was usually at the college, and then they used that experience as a springboard to get a more competitive REU somewhere else after sophomore and junior years.

Many of the students found they enjoyed the research more at the college since it catered more to the undergrad experience than working at an R1 university or at a national lab.

lasymphonie said:
Honestly, the most useful class was programming...

I'm taking programming this coming up semester, what did you learn in yours?

Choppy said:
I got a job on a project about quantum dots between my third and fourth year of undergrad and it worked out quite well for me. I'm not sure you need to pounce on any opportunity you can, as early as you can. In some cases that will help, I suppose, but you have to be aware of other things that you're potentially sacrificing - such as a higher paying job, or job where you might develop some marketable skills for when you eventually enter the workforce.

Generally speaking, when professors hire undergraduates they aren't looking for someone to lead a research project. While it's great if they can, and perhaps in some rare cases they do, most of the time, they are really just looking for someone to help with the more mundane work and are willing to offer a little extra time to teach you about what they're doing in addition to pay.

At this point, I'm not pouncing at anything. I've got some potential programs I'd like to be a part of, but right now I'm just focusing on getting all the information I can - then I can tell where and what to work on. I'm well aware of the place of an undergrad in research.

1. What is the purpose of asking questions to past physics undergrad researchers?

The purpose of asking questions to past physics undergrad researchers is to gain insight into their experiences and perspectives in the field of physics. This can help current students better understand the challenges and opportunities in the field, as well as gather advice and tips for their own research.

2. How can I find past physics undergrad researchers to ask questions?

You can find past physics undergrad researchers through networking events, alumni associations, or by contacting professors or research advisors who may have connections to former students. You can also reach out to physics departments at different universities to see if they have a list of alumni who are willing to be contacted.

3. What types of questions should I ask past physics undergrad researchers?

You can ask a variety of questions to past physics undergrad researchers, such as their research experiences, challenges they faced, tips for success, and advice for current students. You can also ask about their career paths and how their undergraduate research experience has impacted their career choices.

4. How can I make the most out of the information I gather from past physics undergrad researchers?

To make the most out of the information gathered from past physics undergrad researchers, it is important to take notes and reflect on the insights and advice provided. You can also ask follow-up questions or seek further clarification if needed. It is also helpful to compare the experiences and perspectives of different researchers to gain a well-rounded understanding.

5. Is it necessary to ask questions to past physics undergrad researchers?

No, it is not necessary to ask questions to past physics undergrad researchers. However, it can be a valuable opportunity to learn from those who have already gone through the undergraduate physics research experience. It can also provide valuable insights and advice that may not be available through other sources.