Understanding Linear Motion: Solving for Travel and Remaining Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of travel distance and remaining distance when a man applies his brakes while driving. The question is asked about which distance should be used to solve for time and acceleration, and the formula v^2 = u^2 + 2as is mentioned. It is clarified that the man hits the brakes at point O and continues to move until he reaches point Z. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of understanding the context of the problem in order to correctly solve it.
manal950
http://store2.up-00.com/May12/Ueu86896.jpg

someone here told me that travel distance is = vs = 30 m

now remaining is 60 - 30 = 30 m

now my questions is ...

to solve this Q we use which distance is travel distance or remaining distance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How far is he from the man when he hits the brakes?

Is travel distance - total distance = 60 - 30 = 30 m

Right, 30m.So that should answer your part b, and it changes your s from 60 to 30 in your calculation of acceleration.

Ok

now for time required and acceleration we use not this distance we use travel distance which s =vt right ?

That equation is only for uniform velocity, it can't be used when the object is accelerating.

And the question asks for the time required to stop the car. So your answer has two parts, the time while the driver is reacting (given to be 5s) and the time it takes him to stop after hitting the brakes (which we said covers a distance of 30 meters. What other things do you know about this time period?).

see may you don't understand me

I mean

acceleration
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
the answer will be - 0.66

now for this we use s travel distance which s =vt not 60 - 30 = 30 m

But in part B we use the distance is 60 - 30 because question wants distance cover after applying break

correct ??

What values are you using for your variables?
I'm not sure what you're plugging in.

let me give give step by step

X ...... 0 ..... Z

see now form x to 0 is distance travel when he apply brakes that we got
s = vt = 30 m
now from 0 to z that is remaining distance 60 - 30 = 30 m

so we have now 3 distance total which is 60 and from starting to where he stop (X to 0 ) is 30

and from where he stop to a man = 30 (X to Z )

now the Q ask find acceleration (retardation )

v^2 = u^2 + 2as
the answer will be - 0.66

so my question is here we must use distance form X to 0 or from 0 to Z

so I want you tell me any of those distances used to solve time required to stop the car and uniform retardation .

I hope that clear

Well in which stretch (X to O or O to X) are the brakes being applied?

X to O

Which letter is the man and which is the initial position of the car?

initial position of the car? is X
man is Z

I told you before

So if the man is driving at the man, and after he reaches point O he starts to brake, doesn't that mean the accelerating is done from O to Z?

The number is the same, but you need to understand what is going on in each of the two sections of this problem to understand it.

Ok I want know some think after O is the car move Or at O the car stop fully ?

Last edited:
The man doesn't hit the brakes until he gets to O, so how can he be stopped at O?

1. What is linear motion?

Linear motion, also known as rectilinear motion, is a type of motion in which an object moves in a straight line with a constant velocity or acceleration. This type of motion is often seen in everyday life, such as a car traveling on a highway or a ball rolling down a ramp.

2. What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

The main difference between linear and angular motion is the path of the object's movement. Linear motion moves along a straight line, while angular motion moves along a circular path. Another difference is the type of force involved: linear motion is affected by linear forces, such as pushing or pulling, while angular motion is affected by angular forces, such as torque.

3. What is the equation for calculating linear motion?

The equation for calculating linear motion is s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This equation is known as the "equation of motion" and can be used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in linear motion.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Speed refers to the rate at which an object covers distance, while velocity refers to the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction. In linear motion, speed is the magnitude of the velocity vector, which includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

5. How does acceleration affect linear motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In linear motion, acceleration can either be positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down), depending on the direction of the force applied to the object. Acceleration can also affect the distance and time it takes for an object to reach a certain speed, as seen in the equation for linear motion (s = ut + 1/2at^2).