Is Time Similar to Space in Terms of Identity and Limitations?

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: This coordinate system is conventionally labelled 'space-time' and it is the standard framework in which we describe the behaviour of objects in the physical world.
Dooga Blackrazor
I don't have a physics background so be as generous as you like in assuming my ignorance. I am studying philosophy and, currently, the idea of identity existing through time. I have an argument that suggests identity can't exist through time because time is a property of objects that changes, thus, making the objects no longer identical.

To get a better understanding of my own argument, I need a better understanding of time. Time is a 4th dimension with respect to space. Can I treat time in a way similar to how I treat space. For instance, an object can't exist in two places at once because of spatial limitations. Can I assume time and space are attached in such a way as you could use coordinates to describe them (space x,y,z, at time "t")?'

Physics news on Phys.org
Dooga Blackrazor said:
I don't have a physics background so be as generous as you like in assuming my ignorance. I am studying philosophy and, currently, the idea of identity existing through time. I have an argument that suggests identity can't exist through time because time is a property of objects that changes, thus, making the objects no longer identical.
I'd say that spatial configurations are continually changing. Ponderable objects are bounded systems. The boundaries of some systems are more persistent than others.

Dooga Blackrazor said:
To get a better understanding of my own argument, I need a better understanding of time. Time is a 4th dimension with respect to space. Can I treat time in a way similar to how I treat space. For instance, an object can't exist in two places at once because of spatial limitations. Can I assume time and space are attached in such a way as you could use coordinates to describe them (space x,y,z, at time "t")?'
I think of time as referring to indexes of spatial configurations (or sets thereof). This is in keeping with its operational definition per SR and it's usage in ordinary language.

As I posted here, there are two ontological schools of thought here: perdurantism and endurantism. Perdurantism says that objects are unchanging and four-dimensional. Endurantism says that objects are three-dimensional and change through time.

CRGreathouse said:
As I posted here, there are two ontological schools of thought here: perdurantism and endurantism. Perdurantism says that objects are unchanging and four-dimensional. Endurantism says that objects are three-dimensional and change through time.
I'm definitely a presentist endurantist.

Dooga Blackrazor said:
Can I assume time and space are attached in such a way as you could use coordinates to describe them (space x,y,z, at time "t")?'
Yes, the set of spatial (x,y,z) coordinates corresponding to the 3D shapes and relative positions of some set of objects is associated with a time (t) coordinate corresponding to a clock readout (the accumulated count of some regular periodic oscillator).

Related to Is Time Similar to Space in Terms of Identity and Limitations?

What is time?

Time is a concept that measures the duration of events. It can also refer to the sequence of events and the interval between them.

Can time be manipulated?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate time. However, theories such as time dilation and time travel suggest that it may be possible in the future.

How is time measured?

Time is commonly measured using units such as seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, and years. These units are based on the rotation of the Earth and its orbit around the sun.

Is time a human construct?

Some scientists argue that time is a human construct, as it is a concept created and used by humans to understand and organize the world around us. However, others believe that time exists independently of human perception.

What is the relationship between time and space?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space are interconnected and can be thought of as a four-dimensional fabric called spacetime. Changes in the fabric of spacetime affect the perception of time and the movement of objects in space.