Quick Calc 1 problem (Antiderivative)

In summary, to find f given f'' and two conditions, you need to antidifferentiate twice and use the given conditions to solve for the constants of integration.
btbam91
Hello, I'm looking for f given f'' and two conditions.

[PLAIN]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/2572/antider.jpg

Going from f'' to f', I get f'(x) = 5x^4 + 4x^3 + 4x + C

But with the two conditions, I feel that I cannot progress from here. I feel that one of those conditions should be f'.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
btbam91 said:
Hello, I'm looking for f given f'' and two conditions.

[PLAIN]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/2572/antider.jpg

Going from f'' to f', I get f'(x) = 5x^4 + 4x^3 + 4x + C

But with the two conditions, I feel that I cannot progress from here. I feel that one of those conditions should be f'.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Antidifferentiate one more time to get f(x). You'll get another constant of integration, say D. Using f(0) = 2 and f(1) = 1, you'll have two equations in two unknowns, so you should be able to solve for C and D.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative, also known as the indefinite integral, is a function that is the inverse of the derivative. It is used to find the original function when given its derivative.

2. What is the purpose of finding the antiderivative in calculus?

The antiderivative is useful in calculus because it allows us to solve problems involving rates of change and to find the total change over a certain interval. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as finding the distance traveled by an object given its velocity function.

3. How do you find the antiderivative of a function?

To find the antiderivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the type of function. You can also use tables of integrals or integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and gives a function as the result. In other words, a definite integral gives a specific answer, while an indefinite integral gives a family of functions.

5. Can any function have an antiderivative?

No, not all functions have antiderivatives. A function must be continuous and differentiable on its entire domain to have an antiderivative. Additionally, some functions, like the Dirac delta function, do not have antiderivatives.