QUICK calculation help - Why is my equation not giving right answer? Thanks

In summary, The problem is finding the acceleration of a mass sliding down a ramp. The correct equation has been inputted using Newton's 2nd law, but the answer is not correct. The equation used is (.2)(9.8ms^2)sin40 - (.1)(1.5N) and the correct answer is supposed to be 5.55 m/s^2, but the answer given is 1.10986. The equation can be solved by dividing by .2, as this represents the mass in Newton's 2nd law.
nukeman

Homework Statement

Ok, I am doing a problem where I am finding the acceleration of a mass sliding down a ramp.

I am now inputting the variables into Newtons 2nd law, and have the correct equation, but its not giving me the right answer. What am I doing wrong.

Here is the quation: finding acceleration.

(.2)(9.8ms^2)sin40 - (.1)(1.5N)

The answer is suppose to be 5.55 m/s^2

But I am getting 1.10986 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
divide by .2.
. Newtons second law states that f=ma. So ure equation is:(.2)(9.8ms^2)sin40 - (.1)(1.5N)=ma, so to find a, you have to divide by .2, which I assume is the mass.

1. Why is the answer to my equation different from the expected value?

There could be several reasons why your equation is not giving the expected answer. One possibility is that there is a mistake in the equation itself, such as a missing or incorrect sign or number. Another possibility is that you are using the wrong formula for the problem at hand. It is also possible that your input values are incorrect or not in the correct units. Double check your equation and input values to make sure they are accurate.

2. My equation worked before, but now it's giving a different answer. What could have caused this?

If your equation was previously giving the correct answer and is now giving a different answer, it is possible that there has been a change in the variables involved. For example, if you are using a real-time data source, the values may have changed since the last time you used the equation. It is also possible that the equation itself was modified or that there is an error in your input values. Check for any changes or errors that may have occurred.

3. Can rounding errors affect the result of my equation?

Yes, rounding errors can affect the result of your equation. When performing calculations, it is important to use the full, unrounded values in order to get the most accurate result. If you are using rounded values, the final answer may be slightly off from the expected value. This is especially important when dealing with complex equations or large numbers.

4. I have checked my equation and input values, but I am still getting the wrong answer. What else can I do?

If you have double-checked your equation and input values and are still getting the wrong answer, it may be helpful to break down the equation into smaller parts and solve each part individually. This can help identify where the error is occurring. You can also try using a different calculation method or software to see if that produces the expected answer.

5. Could there be a problem with the units in my equation?

Yes, incorrect units can definitely affect the result of your equation. Make sure that all of your input values are in the correct units and that you are using the correct units in the equation itself. For example, if you are calculating speed, make sure the distance is in meters and the time is in seconds. If the units are incorrect, it can throw off the entire calculation.