Quick Conceptual Question on Lenz's Law

In summary: The Resistance is an Inherent Property of the Coil Because It Is the Only Answer That Isn't Dependent on the Environment
longcatislong

Homework Statement

A magnetic field is uniform throughout a region of space, but increases from 0 to 0.14 T in 2.4 s. A circular coil (of diameter 19 cm) is placed in a fixed orientation in this region such as to receive maximum flux. It takes 4171.91 turns to generate an emf of 6.9 V

What inherent property of the coil determines the degree to which it is able to fight the flux change, per Lenz's Law?a) curent
b) EMF
c) Resistance
d) induced magnetic field

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm leaning toward saying that it's a) current. I know I dont' compeltley understand this yet, but I see nothing about inherent properties of coils in my book. All I've gleaned from my reading is that the current will always flow in the direction that opposes the change that caused it.

Can anyone confirm that I'm on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
longcatislong said:

Homework Statement

A magnetic field is uniform throughout a region of space, but increases from 0 to 0.14 T in 2.4 s. A circular coil (of diameter 19 cm) is placed in a fixed orientation in this region such as to receive maximum flux. It takes 4171.91 turns to generate an emf of 6.9 V

What inherent property of the coil determines the degree to which it is able to fight the flux change, per Lenz's Law?

a) curent
b) EMF
c) Resistance
d) induced magnetic field

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm leaning toward saying that it's a) current. I know I dont' compeltley understand this yet, but I see nothing about inherent properties of coils in my book. All I've gleaned from my reading is that the current will always flow in the direction that opposes the change that caused it.

Can anyone confirm that I'm on the right track?

What happens to the coil to make it oppose the change in magnetic flux?

The coil? It makes a current that makes a field to oppose the external field...?

That's right. What affects the strength of the of the field the coil generates?

There probably won't be anything about "inherent properties of coils" in your book, but would you say the current in a piece of wire is an inherent property of it? A web definition of inherent says an inherent property is a "characteristic attribute".

So, the coil needs to generate a current in response to a changing external magnetic field. The current generated by the coil will in turn create an induced magnetic field. What affects the strength of the current/magentic field is the resistance of the coil... yes...?

longcatislong said:
So, the coil needs to generate a current in response to a changing external magnetic field. The current generated by the coil will in turn create an induced magnetic field. What affects the strength of the current/magentic field is the resistance of the coil... yes...?

I agree with that. Also note that the resistance is the only answer which is an inherent property of a coil. All the others depend on the environment you put the coil in.

Why is it exactly that the resistance is an inherent property of the coil, I would have thought that it would depend upon the temperature of the environment?

What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will be in such a direction as to oppose the change that produced it.

Who discovered Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law was first formulated by Emil Lenz in 1834, a Russian physicist.

What is the practical application of Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law has many practical applications, including in generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in electromagnetic braking systems and induction cooktops.

How do you determine the direction of the induced current with Lenz's Law?

The direction of the induced current can be determined using the "right-hand rule." Point your thumb in the direction of the changing magnetic field, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the induced current.

Does Lenz's Law apply to non-magnetic materials?

Yes, Lenz's Law applies to all conductive materials, not just magnetic ones. The induced current will still flow in such a way as to oppose the change that produced it.