Quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce)

• Thread starter Nope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce) is a method used to simplify and solve a system of linear equations by transforming a given matrix into a diagonal matrix. It works by using elementary row operations, has benefits such as simplifying the solution process and reducing errors, and has limitations such as only being applicable to square matrices and not always resulting in a diagonal matrix.
Nope
quick please..diagonalize matrix (row reduce)

Homework Statement

http://www.math4all.in/public_html/linear algebra/chapter10.1.html
10.1.5 Examples: (ii)
this part:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
april95.gif

are both eigenvector for the eigenvalue λ = 3. Similarly, for λ = 6, since
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does it matter if I reduce it to rref?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Nope said:

Homework Statement

http://www.math4all.in/public_html/linear algebra/chapter10.1.html
10.1.5 Examples: (ii)
this part:

april95.gif

are both eigenvector for the eigenvalue λ = 3. Similarly, for λ = 6, since

Does it matter if I reduce it to rref?
Your question doesn't make much sense. The matrices you show are NOT eigenvectors. In the link you gave, it shows two vectors that are the eigenvectors for the eigenvalue 3.

What do you mean by "reduce it to rref"?

oh i I figure it out...
I was just asking
Do I get the same eigenvector (which is 0,1,1) if I
transform
0,1,-1
to rref

In reduced row-echelon form (RREF), the matrix above is
1 0 0
0 1 -1
0 0 0

The only thing that changed is row 1.
You'll get exactly the same eigenvector from this matrix as from the unreduced one.

Last edited by a moderator:

And using this calculator
http://wims.unice.fr/wims/en_tool~linear~matrix.html
I found that
Value Multiplicity Vector
6 1 (0,1,1)
3 2 (1,0,1), (0,1,-1/2)

(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) is right, but (0,1,-1/2) is different to the website , which is (1/2,1,0)
I m confused..

Nope said:
And using this calculator
http://wims.unice.fr/wims/en_tool~linear~matrix.html
I found that
Value Multiplicity Vector
6 1 (0,1,1)
3 2 (1,0,1), (0,1,-1/2)

(1,0,1) and (0,1,1) is right, but (0,1,-1/2) is different to the website , which is (1/2,1,0)
I m confused..

It's easy to check. Substitute each of these two vectors (i.e., <0, 1, -1/2> and <1/2, 1, 0> in the equation Ax = 3x. If they both make a true statement, they're both eigenvectors.

What is the purpose of quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce)?

The purpose of quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce) is to simplify and solve a system of linear equations by transforming the given matrix into a diagonal matrix. This makes it easier to find the solution to the equations and perform further calculations.

How does quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce) work?

Quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce) works by using elementary row operations to transform the given matrix into a diagonal matrix, where all the elements outside the main diagonal are equal to zero. This is achieved by multiplying certain rows by a constant, adding or subtracting rows, or swapping rows.

What are the benefits of using quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce)?

The benefits of using quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce) include simplifying the process of solving a system of linear equations, making it easier to find the solution, and reducing the chances of making errors in calculations. It also helps in understanding the relationships between the variables in the equations.

Can any matrix be diagonalized using quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce)?

No, not all matrices can be diagonalized using quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce). A matrix can only be diagonalized if it is square, meaning it has an equal number of rows and columns. Additionally, a matrix can only be diagonalized if it is invertible, meaning it has a non-zero determinant.

Are there any limitations to using quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce)?

Yes, there are limitations to using quick diagonalize matrix (row reduce). This method can only be applied to square matrices and may not always result in a diagonal matrix. In some cases, it may not be the most efficient method for solving a system of linear equations, and other methods may be more appropriate.