Is the Echo Frequency Increased When a Dolphin Approaches Fish?

• Thread starter physicsgal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Doppler effect and its application to a dolphin swimming towards fish. It is agreed that the dolphin would observe an increased frequency due to the sound waves bouncing off the moving fish. The conversation also touches on calculating the observed frequency for various scenarios involving air columns and sound waves. Multiple formulas are shared and it is concluded that the calculations are correct.
physicsgal
if a dolphin swims towards some fish, and emits a high pitched sound. will the echo from this sound be observed (by the dolphin) as an increased/decreased frequency?

my vote is increased

~Amy

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes should be. Analagous to the doppler effect in police cars etc.

here's another question:
Vobserved = 2 m/s
Vsound = 330 m/s
Fsound = 96 Hz
Fobserved = ?

i calculated 96.58Hz or 9.7 * 10^1 Hz ?

~Amy

Yeah looks ok to me. Although is vobserved supposed to be the speed the dolphin is travelling?

thanks. no dolphin in the 2nd question. it's about a band marching away from a guy a the speed of 2 m/s.

~Amy

another question:

Find the second resonant length of an air column that resonates with a sound of frequency 1 kHz at 15 degrees C.

a) the air column is closed at both ends

b) the air colomn is open at both ends.

c) the air column is open at one end and closed at the other end.

can someone give me the formulas for b and c? :blushing:

for a i figured out the wavelength to be 0.34085 m and the speed of sound to be 340.85m/s.

so the resonant length ends up being 34 cm.

o:)

~Amy

update: for b i got 34 cm (same calculation as in "a")

and for c i got 25.5 cm

~Amy

physicsgal said:
update: for b i got 34 cm (same calculation as in "a")

and for c i got 25.5 cm

~Amy
Sounds all correct to me!

Patrick

Related to Is the Echo Frequency Increased When a Dolphin Approaches Fish?

1. What is echolocation?

Echolocation is a biological sonar used by animals, such as bats and dolphins, to navigate and locate objects by emitting sounds and interpreting the echoes that bounce back.

2. How does echolocation work?

Echolocation works by emitting a sound, usually at a high frequency, and listening for the echoes that return. The time it takes for the echo to return and the intensity of the echo can provide information about the object's distance, size, and location.

3. What animals use echolocation?

Bats, dolphins, whales, shrews, and some birds, such as oilbirds and swiftlets, are known to use echolocation. Some blind humans have also been known to develop a form of echolocation to navigate their surroundings.

4. Can humans use echolocation?

While humans do not naturally use echolocation, some blind individuals have been able to develop and utilize a form of echolocation to navigate their environment. This involves producing clicks or tapping sounds and interpreting the echoes that return.

5. What are the benefits of echolocation?

Echolocation allows animals to navigate and locate prey or obstacles in their environment, even in low light or dark conditions. It also helps them to communicate with others and can provide information about their surroundings, such as the size and shape of objects.