Find Constant Force F Vector Form: 34Nm Work Done A to B

• Thread starter devious_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a particle moves from point A to point B under the action of a constant force F Newtons. The work done by the force in moving the particle is 34 Nm, which can be found using the vector form of F, 4i + 6j + 4k. The position vector of B relative to A is used to determine the directional components of F, resulting in the final answer of F = √(68/17)(2i + 3j + 2k).
devious_
Points A and B have position vectors (3i + j)m and (5i + 4j + 2k)m respectively. A particle moves from rest at the point A to the point B under the action of a constant force F Newtons only. Given that the work done by the force in moving the bead from A to B is 34 Nm, find F.

I've found that [itex]|\textbf{F}| = \sqrt{68}[/itex], which is correct, but I'm supposed to find it in vector form: [itex]\textbf{F} = 4\textbf{i} + 6\textbf{j} + 4\textbf{k}[/itex]. How do I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a vector from point A to point B, this is vector F. Now break it down into its directional components

Isn't that the position vector of B relative to A?

Yes, that's where the force acted on the particle.

Oh! I see what you're getting at:
[tex]
\textbf{F} = \sqrt{\frac{68}{17}} (2\textbf{i} + 3\textbf{j} + 2\textbf{k})
[/tex]

And that gives the required answer. Thanks! :biggrin:

1. What is the formula for calculating constant force in vector form?

The formula for calculating constant force in vector form is F = W/d, where F is the force in Newtons (N), W is the work done in Joules (J), and d is the distance in meters (m).

2. How do you find the work done between points A and B?

The work done between points A and B can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the force vector by the displacement vector between the two points. This can be represented as W = F * d.

3. What is the unit for constant force in vector form?

The unit for constant force in vector form is Newtons (N). This unit is derived from the formula F = m * a, where m is the mass in kilograms (kg) and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How is constant force represented in vector form?

Constant force is represented in vector form by using an arrow above the force symbol (F) to indicate that it is a vector quantity. The direction of the arrow represents the direction of the force, and the length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force.

5. Can constant force be negative in vector form?

Yes, constant force can be negative in vector form. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the arrow. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the force when working with vector quantities to ensure accurate calculations.