Quick Natural log/exp question

• Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary, the conversation is discussing the simplification of ln(x) > e^0, and how it relates to the derivative of lnlnlnx and its domain. There is confusion about the answer key stating that the domain of the derivative is x > e, when it should actually be x > 1. The conversation ends with a request for further explanation on the domain of the derivative.
frasifrasi
A part of an example on my book goes from the following:

e^(lnlnx) > e^0

to

(e^lnx)^lnx > e^0

and to

ln x > e^0

this last step is what threw me off--shouldn't it be x^lnx instead of ln x on the right side since they are inverse functions. Is anything being done that I have missed?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
This first line simplifies to ln(x)>0, the second line to x^ln(x)>0. They aren't the same.

Ok, so let me ask the full question and see if it helps:

- Differentiate f(x) = lnlnlnx and find its domain.

So, after applying the chain rule twice, the answer is: (1/lnlnx)*1/lnx*1/x

Since the domain is the tricky part, can anyone explain how to get it?

According to the answer key, it is supposed to be x > e following the steps on my original post.

Thank you.

Anyway, dick can you explain why the first line simplifies to lnx > 0? I don't get that either...

frasifrasi said:
Anyway, dick can you explain why the first line simplifies to lnx > 0? I don't get that either...

e^(ln(a))=a. Now put a=ln(x).

frasifrasi said:
Ok, so let me ask the full question and see if it helps:

- Differentiate f(x) = lnlnlnx and find its domain.

So, after applying the chain rule twice, the answer is: (1/lnlnx)*1/lnx*1/x

Since the domain is the tricky part, can anyone explain how to get it?

According to the answer key, it is supposed to be x > e following the steps on my original post.

Thank you.

What's the domain of ln(x)?

no, the domain of (1/lnlnx)*1/lnx*1/x, which is the answer for the question.

frasifrasi said:
no, the domain of (1/lnlnx)*1/lnx*1/x, which is the answer for the question.

The question asks for the domain of f(x)=lnlnlnx, not the domain of the derivative. They are different. I was just trying to get you to tell me that the domain of ln(x) is x>0. This tells you that ln(lnx)>0 (concentrate on the leftmost ln in the definition of f). Now where to go? Where is ln(ln(x))>0?

I see what you mean, the language is vague there, but the professor most definitely wants the domain of the derivative...

I see what you mean that e^lnlnx is not the same as (e^ln)lnx since the first is a composite function and the latter is simply a product (power of power)--I guess the answer key was wrong about this, but can you explain what the derivative is anyways...

You already know the derivative, you told me. The hardest thing to satisfy in the domain of the derivative is that ln(ln(x)) be defined and non-zero. For what values of x is that true? You seem to understand everything else well enough I think you can tell me, and I won't have to break my blood oath not to reveal answers. :)

For that anwer, i originally thought it couldn't be 1 or 0 because if x is 0, the domain is 0 and also that it couldn't be 1 because ln 1= 0. But, the prof. answer's sheet says x > e, so I am utterly perplexed. If anyone can explain the domain for that derivative, I would highly appreciate.

The domain of the derivative is x>1. And I expect you to explain to me why. Pronto. If the profs answer sheet says x>e then I think the organism in question wants the domain of f(x)=ln(ln(ln(x))). You aren't helping me enough to understand what you don't understand here.

FAQ: Quick Natural log/exp question

1. What is the difference between a quick natural log and a quick natural exp?

A quick natural log is a logarithmic function that calculates the natural logarithm of a given number. A quick natural exp is an exponential function that calculates the value of e raised to a given power. The main difference between the two is that the quick natural log function returns a numerical value, while the quick natural exp function returns e raised to a given power.

2. How do I calculate the natural log of a number?

The natural log of a number can be calculated by using the function ln(x) in a scientific calculator or by using the log() function in programming languages such as Python or Java. Alternatively, you can use the mathematical formula ln(x) = loge(x) to manually calculate the natural log.

3. What is the value of e in the quick natural exp function?

The value of e in the quick natural exp function is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. It is an irrational number and is often used in many mathematical and scientific calculations.

4. Can the quick natural log/exp functions be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the quick natural log/exp functions are commonly used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. They can be used to model and solve various real-world problems such as population growth, radioactive decay, and temperature change.

5. Are there any limitations to using the quick natural log/exp functions?

One limitation of using the quick natural log/exp functions is that they can only be applied to positive numbers. Additionally, the results of these functions may be limited by the precision of the calculator or programming language being used. It is important to understand the context and limitations of these functions when applying them to real-world problems.