1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Natural log/exp question

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    A part of an example on my book goes from the following:

e^(lnlnx) > e^0

to

(e^lnx)^lnx > e^0

and to

ln x > e^0

this last step is what threw me off--shouldn't it be x^lnx instead of ln x on the right side since they are inverse functions. Is anything being done that I have missed?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This first line simplifies to ln(x)>0, the second line to x^ln(x)>0. They aren't the same.

4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    Ok, so let me ask the full question and see if it helps:

- Differentiate f(x) = lnlnlnx and find its domain.

So, after applying the chain rule twice, the answer is: (1/lnlnx)*1/lnx*1/x

Since the domain is the tricky part, can anyone explain how to get it?

According to the answer key, it is supposed to be x > e following the steps on my original post.

Thank you.

5. Sep 12, 2007 #4
    Anyway, dick can you explain why the first line simplifies to lnx > 0? I don't get that either...

6. Sep 12, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

e^(ln(a))=a. Now put a=ln(x).

7. Sep 12, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the domain of ln(x)?

8. Sep 12, 2007 #7
    no, the domain of (1/lnlnx)*1/lnx*1/x, which is the answer for the question.

9. Sep 12, 2007 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question asks for the domain of f(x)=lnlnlnx, not the domain of the derivative. They are different. I was just trying to get you to tell me that the domain of ln(x) is x>0. This tells you that ln(lnx)>0 (concentrate on the leftmost ln in the definition of f). Now where to go? Where is ln(ln(x))>0?

10. Sep 12, 2007 #9
    I see what you mean, the language is vague there, but the professor most definitely wants the domain of the derivative...

I see what you mean that e^lnlnx is not the same as (e^ln)lnx since the first is a composite function and the latter is simply a product (power of power)--I guess the answer key was wrong about this, but can you explain what the derivative is anyways...

11. Sep 12, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You already know the derivative, you told me. The hardest thing to satisfy in the domain of the derivative is that ln(ln(x)) be defined and non-zero. For what values of x is that true? You seem to understand everything else well enough I think you can tell me, and I won't have to break my blood oath not to reveal answers. :)

12. Sep 12, 2007 #11
    For that anwer, i originally thought it couldn't be 1 or 0 because if x is 0, the domain is 0 and also that it couldn't be 1 because ln 1= 0. But, the prof. answer's sheet says x > e, so I am utterly perplexed. If anyone can explain the domain for that derivative, I would highly appreciate.

13. Sep 12, 2007 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The domain of the derivative is x>1. And I expect you to explain to me why. Pronto. If the profs answer sheet says x>e then I think the organism in question wants the domain of f(x)=ln(ln(ln(x))). You aren't helping me enough to understand what you don't understand here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?