Natural Log in a Derivative: What Are the Rules?

In summary, the function (x^2)^x is well-defined for x > 0, but the function exp(2*x*ln(x)) is not defined for x < 0 because you would be taking the log of a negative number. The two expressions are the same only if x > 0. Additionally, for ln(a^b), a must be greater than 0 for the rule to apply.
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have a problem that I'm working on that I have almost solved, yet I am just a tad off of what the book says the answer is. I will show the way I'm doing it, and where I depart from the steps the book takes.

The graph of [itex]y=(x^2)^x[/itex] has two horizontal tangent lines. Find equations for both of them. (I bolded "two" because this is part of my mistake)

Homework Equations

Chain rule, exponential rule, etc

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]y=(x^2)^x = x^{2x}[/itex]

[itex]\ln{y}=\ln{x^{2x}}[/itex]

This is where the book and I deviate. This is what I do.

[itex]lny = 2xlnx[/itex]

Taking the derivative

[itex]\frac{1}{y}y'=2x\frac{1}{x}+2lnx[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{y}y'=2+2lnx[/itex]

[itex]y'=y(2+2lnx)[/itex]

[itex]y'=x^{2x}(2+2lnx)[/itex]

Solving for zero

[itex]x^{2x} = 0[/itex] when[itex] x=0[/itex]

[itex]2+2lnx = 0[/itex]

[itex]2lnx = -2[/itex]

[itex]lnx = \frac{-2}{2}[/itex]

[itex]lnx = -1[/itex]

[itex]e^{lnx} = e^{-1}[/itex]

[itex]x = e^{-1} = 1/e[/itex]

Here is where the problem lies, the book never brought the exponent in front, like [itex]lny = 2xlnx[/itex]. Instead it kept [itex]lny = lnx^{2x}[/itex] and then found the derivative, which ends up with two answers.

What are the rules here? Any advice (about this problem) is appreciated.

Mac

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MacLaddy said:

Homework Statement

I have a problem that I'm working on that I have almost solved, yet I am just a tad off of what the book says the answer is. I will show the way I'm doing it, and where I depart from the steps the book takes.

The graph of [itex]y=(x^2)^x[/itex] has two horizontal tangent lines. Find equations for both of them. (I bolded "two" because this is part of my mistake)

Homework Equations

This is where the book and I derivate (no pun intended) This is what I do.

[itex]lny = 2xlnx[/itex]

Taking the derivative

Solving for zero

[itex]2+2lnx = 0[/itex]

[itex]2lnx = -2[/itex]

[itex]lnx = -1[/itex]

Here is where the problem lies, the book never brought the exponent in front, like [itex]lny = 2xlnx[/itex]. Instead it kept [itex]lny = lnx^{2x}[/itex] and then found the derivative, which ends up with two answers.

Mac

The function (x^2)^x is well-defined for x < 0 or x > 0, but the function exp(2*x*ln(x)) is not defined for x < 0: you would be taking the log of a negative number. The two expressions are the same only if x > 0.

RGV

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply, Ray, but I am not sure I understand.

Are you saying that because [itex]x^{2x}[/itex] is not defined as greater than zero, then you can not change [itex]lnx^{2x}[/itex] to [itex]2xlnx[/itex]?

If that's true, then why does that exponent rule apply wrt Ln? I think I'm still missing something.

Last edited:
MacLaddy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

This is where the book and I derivate (no pun intended) This is what I do.   (The word is deviate.)

[itex]lny = 2xlnx[/itex]

Taking the derivative

Solving for zero

[itex]2+2lnx = 0[/itex]

[itex]2lnx = -2[/itex]

[itex]lnx = -1[/itex]

Mac

First of all, [itex](x^2)^x = x^{2x}[/itex] only for x ≥ 0.

More generally you can write, [itex](x^2)^x = |x|^{2x}\,,[/itex] which is true for all real values of x.

Therefore, [itex]\displaystyle \ln(y)=\left\{ \begin{array}{rcl}
2x\ln(x)& \text{ if } & x\ge 0 \\
\\
2x\ln(-x)& \text{ if } & x<0\end{array}\right.[/itex]

Work with that.

Sorry guys, but this isn't making any sense to me. Is there a reference you can point me to?

I understand that for ln(x), x > 0, but I'm not seeing how that applies to the exponent, and why in your piecewise function above you can put a negative in the Natural Log. I also do not understand why x for [itex]x^{2x}[/itex] must be equal to or greater than zero.

The rule as I've always seen it is [itex]\ln{a^b} = b*lna[/itex]

Last edited:
MacLaddy said:
*EDIT*

Jeopardy music playing in my head. It's about to click... but not yet.
Right.

If x = -3/2, then [itex]\displaystyle (x^2)^x = \left(\left(\frac{-3}{2}\right)^2\right)^{-3/2}=\left(\frac{9}{4}\right)^{-3/2}=\frac{8}{27}\,,[/itex] whereas, [itex]\displaystyle x^{2x} = \left(\frac{-3}{2}\right)^{2(-3/2)}=\left(\frac{-3}{2}\right)^{-3}=\frac{-8}{27}\,,[/itex]

MacLaddy said:
Sorry guys, but this isn't making any sense to me. Is there a reference you can point me to?

I understand that for ln(x), x > 0, but I'm not seeing how that applies to the exponent, and why in your piecewise function above you can put a negative in the Natural Log. I also do not understand why x for [itex]x^{2x}[/itex] must be equal to or greater than zero.

The rule as I've always seen it is [itex]\ln{a^b} = b*lna[/itex]
Then you need to go back an review. What you should have seen was [itex]\ln{a^b}= b\ln{a}[/itex] if a> 0[/itex]. You keep ignoring the possibility that a is negative, in which case you cannot take the derivative.

If x itself is a negative number, as in, x = -5, then ln(-x) = ln(-(-5)) = ln(5).

That's how you can have ln(-x) .

SammyS said:
Right.

If x = -3/2, then [itex]\displaystyle (x^2)^x = \left(\left(\frac{-3}{2}\right)^2\right)^{-3/2}=\left(\frac{9}{4}\right)^{-3/2}=\frac{8}{27}\,,[/itex] whereas, [itex]\displaystyle x^{2x} = \left(\frac{-3}{2}\right)^{2(-3/2)}=\left(\frac{-3}{2}\right)^{-3}=\frac{-8}{27}\,,[/itex]

Ah, I see. I was not aware of this rule.

HallsofIvy said:
Then you need to go back an review. What you should have seen was [itex]\ln{a^b}= b\ln{a}[/itex] if a> 0[/itex]. You keep ignoring the possibility that a is negative, in which case you cannot take the derivative.

Yes, definitely need to review. I just want to make sure I know exactly what to review.

SammyS said:
If x itself is a negative number, as in, x = -5, then ln(-x) = ln(-(-5)) = ln(5).

That's how you can have ln(-x) .

That makes more sense, thanks for the clarification.

I am going to dig into this question for a bit, and hopefully I will understand it. I think I have some serious deficiencies in my understanding somewhere. I'm just not sure if it goes back to algebraic rules I should know, or if this is something new in calculus that I'm not grasping.

I appreciate both of your help. If I do have more questions, would you recommend starting a new thread, or continuing with this one?

Related to Natural Log in a Derivative: What Are the Rules?

1. What is the natural log in a derivative?

The natural log in a derivative is a mathematical function that is used to determine the rate of change of a given function. It is represented by the symbol "ln" and is the inverse function of the exponential function.

2. How is the natural log used in finding derivatives?

The natural log is used in finding derivatives by taking the derivative of the natural log of a given function. This can be expressed as ln(f(x))' = f'(x)/f(x).

3. Can the natural log be used in any type of function?

Yes, the natural log can be used in any type of function, as long as the function is differentiable. This means that it must have a continuous derivative at every point in its domain.

4. What is the relationship between the natural log and e in derivatives?

The natural log and e have a special relationship in derivatives. The derivative of ln(x) is 1/x, while the derivative of e^x is e^x. This means that the natural log is the inverse function of the exponential function.

5. How can the natural log be used in real-world applications?

The natural log can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in finance to calculate compound interest, in biology to model population growth, and in physics to describe radioactive decay. It is a fundamental tool in many fields of science and mathematics.